Brand new laptop keeps spinning up CD drive?

I have avast and malware bytes installed on this machine. Considering the machine is only 2 days old, I highly doubt that there is a virus on there, but better to be safe than sorry.

It's brand new and not working. Tech support is the first place to call and get it fixed. There's no reason for it to be not working out of the box, and they need to fix it.

This ^^

Contact their Tech Support as it is still under warranty and they should fix it.

.....Contact their Tech Support as it is still under warranty and they should fix it.

I won't be able to get it seen for about 2 weeks. Don't want to wait that long because it is annoying to hear it spin up every 10 minutes or so.

Could anyone please help me.

Get an appointment and then take the drive out. They are easy to remove and put back in (and no one will know).

So I did a factory reset on my machine and am going to bring it back to the store to get it replaced. I really really wanted to find the solution to this problem, hence why I posted here. Considering everyone told me to get it looked at by tech support, I guess me posting here to find a solution wasn't really worth anything.

Thanks all, will see you next time!

When you did the factory reset, did the issue go away? If so, then I would suspect it was some software you had installed but if it was still happening after the factory reset then I would suspect something else.

BTW, why did you feel it necessary to do the factory reset before taking it in to be looked at?

We said to let them look at it because there's no reason for you to work on a 2 day old laptop. If it was 2 years old, we would have offered any suggestions we had. But with it only being 2 days old, there's no reason to have to fix it. Take it back and get one that works out of the box.

I agree much better to take a laptop back than to keep something that doesn't work right. It depends too on the store too some stores have better reputations than other stores for selling good products. I once bought a computer from a store years ago and it had been refurbished but was sold as new. Both the store and the manufacturer were to blame and knew about the computer being refurbished and not new. I now avoid the store and the brand.

It wasn't Toshiba by the way it was another brand I would rather not mention and just forget about.

When you did the factory reset, did the issue go away? If so, then I would suspect it was some software you had installed but if it was still happening after the factory reset then I would suspect something else.

BTW, why did you feel it necessary to do the factory reset before taking it in to be looked at?

Because I have had three previous laptops (Asus) have a fault with it (First two had a faulty keyboard, third had dead pixels), and they swapped it in-store for a new model. After the third time I got a Toshiba, and now I have a fault with this. Will be the 4th time going in this week.

We said to let them look at it because there's no reason for you to work on a 2 day old laptop. If it was 2 years old, we would have offered any suggestions we had. But with it only being 2 days old, there's no reason to have to fix it. Take it back and get one that works out of the box.

I still would have liked to have known the solution to this problem, because if it was something I could have fixed myself I wouldn't bother going back to the store. I suspect when I get it swapped for a new model I have the same problem.

I agree much better to take a laptop back than to keep something that doesn't work right. It depends too on the store too some stores have better reputations than other stores for selling good products. I once bought a computer from a store years ago and it had been refurbished but was sold as new. Both the store and the manufacturer were to blame and knew about the computer being refurbished and not new. I now avoid the store and the brand.

It wasn't Toshiba by the way it was another brand I would rather not mention and just forget about.

I got my previous laptop from this same store, it's a big, popular store in Australia (JB HiFi)

Back
Top Bottom