Brain teaser...

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I have a system I'll call my main rig at my home/office. I have my laptop at the other office.
I have 2 phone lines to my home/office and at the other office I have near 60.
Now what I want to do is call up my main from my laptop and have the main dial up my ISP and feed it to my laptop over the other line.
Also be able to access my system like I was sitting at the keyboard.

Reason is my main gets faster connection speeds and has all my programs on it. Other reason is my laptop's cd-rom drive has developed a problem as it's closed drawer catch is not holding. No more cd-rom disc's till it's replaced.

Any ideas???

The main is xp home sp1.
The laptop is win98se.

can't happen seti, You are on aol and you will only be allowed the one sign in. If you tried to run another sign in for the second call...aol will tell you No that you are already signed in.

actually, i can't see the use of it. Irregardless if his main computer gets better speeds as soon as the second computer is initiated the speeds will be reduced to the lower levels. Now he can access the computers by using a third party connection as "PC Anywhere" so long as there is wake on ring installed in the modems and is supported by the motherboards. If not wake on ring then there is no way to get the one computer to answer the initial call. but will continue to look into this as it does make an interesting situation.

Guess I need to add some details...

The main rig is on the hotel phone system as is the front office. I can dial point to point using the hotel PBX without having to access an outside line. I have 2 extentions in my home/office and access to 60+ extentions from the front office. The PBX controller is a couple of rooms away from the front office.
So I can ring up the main rig going point to point using the pbx switch.
I understand the second connection no matter how fast the main is going is going to be as fast as the laptop goes normally. The dialing out is a side want but if it can be done I'd sure like to get that going. I think a dialup network setup is going to be the answer. BUT I don't want to go through the internet to get there or like lurks said AOL will see me logged on already and not let me have a second connection.

EDIT: I tried MultiComm this morning and as soon as I activated the program it tried to access the web. ZoneAlarm alerted me and I shut it down. It's supposed to be a p2p type program but that turned out to be a lie.

Here's the rub...

With remote desktop both systems have to be on the web to see each other. I need to hit the main from the laptop by dialing directly in to it.
But hey I can always get netzero on the lappy. Thanks...

Back
Top Bottom