Bought a Sandy Bridge Monday, can I get some help?

ebbenson3

Solid State Member
So i purchased a computer with the Sandy Bridge processor that is being recalled and I was wondering what I could get that is currently available that would have close to the same power and my inital setup.

Original specs:
i5 2500k 3.30Ghz
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 ram

So I guess my question is... what can I get for about the same price either on the AMD side or with another processor that was still as good as the i5 2500k? I would like to stay around $1k if possible. I don't really know a lot about the i7's or the x58 mobos, but some people were telling me that I would either have to downgrade or upgrade based off trying to working around the orginial specs that I had.

If you can wait until the end of February, if you buy another motherboard then it will work and have the fix. The CPUs are fine, it is the chipset that has the issue, hence why the motherboard replacement will sort the problem.

Until then, your current board will not be a problem, it is only 2-3 years down the line before complete failure/severe slowdown and bugs will happen, so 1 month is nothing

I dont have a computer at the moment, just using the one at work... so I really dont want to put off waiting another month (I know, sounds stupid). I have yet to really read up on intel's website to see what they are offering interms of an exhange or voucher or something, but in case they don't I thought that I would make a pre-emptive move and get a computer that would be around the same power/price and just a different processor. Now if I could just get my computer and just get them to replace the mobo for me or something like that a couple of months down the road, I would not have a problem with that at all. Thanks for the quick reply.

Thanks for the quick response. I will look over these and see what I can do. I was reading up on the Intel forums and found an article that said that "If you have a desktop system with six SATA ports driven off of P67/H67 chipset, there's a chance (at least 5%) that during normal use some of the 3Gbps ports will stop working over the course of 3 years."

So, now I am trying to find out a little bit about the mobo that I ordered. Maybe it's not effected =/

Alright, the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 has 6 SATA ports (go figure). From what I have read it seems that the 3Gbps ports are the issue, so I am wondering if it is possible to just keep my HD on the 6Gbps and not run into an issue in the short term. Heh, the computer noob in me is starting to show. =)

Back
Top Bottom