Bottlenecking

Ghost421

Solid State Member
How much do you think a Celeron 2.8ghz would bottleneck, if at all, a radeon 9800 256mb? I'm thinking about buying a new processor, if so, which would be a good, valuable choice? Socket 478 Pentium Northwood/Willamette processor. Hyper-Threading ready, too.

wow another one restricted to a slow memory speed. I would check to see what higher ram your system supports first before going to a bigger chip. Just going from pc2100 to pc2700 or pc3200 would show a remarkable improvement. As to the bottle neck...your vid card will also be restricted by the speed of your ram and would be definately creating a bottleneck there.

Alright, thanks. So, i'll hop up to some pc-3200, cuz that's all my mobo can handle, I'll get a gig of it, maybe 2, lol. After I get that, how much of a difference will goin' up to a good running p4 processor make? Do you think I'll get a bunch of improvement on games like battlefield 2 between a celeron 2.8ghz and a p4 say 3.2 or so ghz?

Going to the ddr400(pc3200) will show a remarkable increase in performance from the pc2100 that you now have. As to the differences with your proccessor and a little faster one...really depends on what you are trying to achieve. In the gaming aspect, I really don't think you will see that much difference as your vid card and ram is really what drives that aspect. in multytasking there will be a moderate change but again nothing that would really make you sit up and say wow over.
A lot of the so called upgrades that you see people raving about is really about BRAGGING RIGHTS. In real terms there is very little notce to a person on proccessor upgrades unless there is a remarkable jump in them to begin with. Most of the differences are really only noticeable through benchmarking tests and not to the human eye.

thats true with the processor upgrade i went from a 1.4 ta a 2.4 didnt notice much...then from a2.4 to a 3.0 with ht....lol i didnt notic much...when i did notice performance jump is when i got my gt 6600 and 2 gigs of ram only thing holdin me bak is the hardrive :(

Alright, so, I'll just worry about the ram for now. I'll upgrade that and see what I can do later. I want to update my harddrive, I got an 80gig old thing from a Sony Vaio. :\

my hard drives are new but....IDE..... i need to know how to do raid....any one got any tips?

Back
Top Bottom