bored and wanting to upgrade

Logan1

In Runtime
computer runs fine, but i gots the itch...i need to upgrade soemthing.

i have....
asus p5b deluxe mobo
E6600 2.4
4 GB DDR2 800
8800gt 512MB
700w OCZ
and a 22" widescreen

what are my best options? i can't decide.

i was reading reviews and i guess my GPU is fine for a while yet.
4GB of ram should tide me over forever, especially since i'm using xp not vista so i only "have" 3.2GB or something like that.
i was thinking either mobo or CPU.
heard good things about the wolfdale dual cores, would they be an improvment over the conroe 6600?
what about cheap quad cores?

saw and liked this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

but seems i should keep my mobo till it can't do something, otherwise it should be fine.

anyway, ideas??

well. to be honest I wouldn't upgrade anything. It's simply a waste of money.
But if you must have something new then I'd probably go with a fast quad core cpu.

You have your E6600 running at stock speeds, why not buy a cooler and overclock? You could get so much more performance out of it.

computer runs fine, but i gots the itch...i need to upgrade soemthing.

i have....
asus p5b deluxe mobo
E6600 2.4
4 GB DDR2 800
8800gt 512MB
700w OCZ
and a 22" widescreen

what are my best options? i can't decide.

i was reading reviews and i guess my GPU is fine for a while yet.
4GB of ram should tide me over forever, especially since i'm using xp not vista so i only "have" 3.2GB or something like that.
i was thinking either mobo or CPU.
heard good things about the wolfdale dual cores, would they be an improvment over the conroe 6600?
what about cheap quad cores?

saw and liked this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

but seems i should keep my mobo till it can't do something, otherwise it should be fine.

anyway, ideas??

You have a really well balanced computer. Upgrading the mobo would be pointless, as it would do nothing for you. Upgrading the processor wouldnt be a terrible idea, but the newer processors are hardly better than what you have now.

I'd get something nice like a second monitor, more hard drives, great speakers / sound card, a great mouse, mousepad & keyboard or something like these ideas.

well. to be honest I wouldn't upgrade anything. It's simply a waste of money.
But if you must have something new then I'd probably go with a fast quad core cpu.

The problem with that is his current motherboard does not support quad cores.

I'm actually in a similar situation as you in some ways. My board supports quads and 45nm duals but it doesn't overclock the quads that well. So I can't just upgrade one component but i'll be forced to upgrade many.

Really your current build should be more than holding its own with new games. Overclock the CPU and GPU. There still isn't a game on my rig that isn't playable which is pretty similar to your current build. So why upgrade unless you want a bit more performance.

But a motherboard is were you should start for that build since any new board will still run the E6600 you could just put that back in the system until you have the extra money to upgrade to a 45nm quad. Plus you would get a PCI-E 2.0 interface with a new board which the 8800GT is PCI-E 2.0.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;777885 said:
The problem with that is his current motherboard does not support quad cores.

that's what I was thinking but
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=307&l4=0&model=1295&modelmenu=1
said:
- Intel® Quad-core CPU Ready

edit: still not sure since for example new egg says that
CPU Type Core 2 Extreme / Core 2 Duo / Pentium EE / Pentium

but it's extremely odd that the manufacturers website would say that it works with quad cores if it actually doesn't. Or then I just understood wrong. :S

Back
Top Bottom