Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-02-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default booting from external drives

My problem is that i can't boot up anything. I have a lifebook b series laptop that doesn't have any internal drives. I originally had win98se on it but when installing some updates i screwed it up and now can not get it to start windows. I have an external pcmcia cd-rom drive. And today just bought a external usb floppy drive.
i am now trying to reinstall windows. i have a copy of a bootable win xp pro which i'm trying to now install. I couldn't boot from a cd-rom drive because my bios didn't give me that option, they only give me the choice between harddisk and floppy drive. So i went out and bought a usb floppy drive. This didn't work either though because i guess you need to install drivers. However i am somewhat hopeful now because i was playing around in msdos which still works and managed to find the drivers for my cd-rom drive. I installed these and my cd-rom drive now ejects and seems as if its working. Can I now boot from the cd in dos? I've being trying to get some kind of e: or f: or d: command prompt but am not able too. I'm not sure if i'm doing the right thing at all really. Is there any hope for me? May I have to boot from a network? if so how?

thanks very much if you can solve my problem or even give some kind of advice to get me started

mmccull is offline   Reply With Quote