Bootable USB

Rmp5s

In Runtime
Hello everyone. I am on a mission. I have a netbook. Netbooks don't typically come with CD drives...mine doesn't. Usually it doesn't matter...except when you want to try different Linux distros that only come in .iso format. I have one (the Ubuntu Netbook Remix) that actually downloaded as a .img file. I then downloaded a program that puts that .img file onto the USB drive and makes it bootable...works like a charm. (Ubuntu Netbook Remix is great, too!) Now I want to try Sabayon and some other Linux distros but they only come as .iso's. How can I do this? I've googled and tried everything I can possibly think of when it comes to this and can't get anything to work. I'm trying to get bootable .iso's to boot from USB...that's all. How can I go about this?

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I tried that already earlier but I'll check it out again. Thanks!

Anyone have any other ideas?

If I'm not mistaken, this is quite simple.

So you'll format your USB drive, and copy the .ISO over to the flash drive and go to this link:

http://www.bay-wolf.com/usbmemstick.htm

There you'll see a link for Win98 system files, copy those onto your drive to make it bootable.

I haven't tried this method with Linux, yet. It's worked with ever other OS I've tried it on.

Hope it helps, good luck!

Alright...just followed the instructions to a T and I'm goin for the reboot now! Everything went fine and I didn't get any error messages or anything so, if this CAN work, it SHOULD. I'll let you know!

Thanks!!!

Definately didn't work. It DID however boot me into a KILLER Windows 98 Command Prompt...lol...so, apparently the bootable USB was fine...there was something wrong with what I wanted to put on it, I guess. I put the ISO on it. Should I extract what's on the ISO and put that on the USB to boot or something?

Back
Top Bottom