Boot Failure

EbyNator

Beta member
hey everyone. having a problem with my computer.

its a custom built PC that I put together about half a year ago, and just today i received the 11.5 gig hard drive i ordered for some extra space.

I installed the hard drive, set it to slave, and made sure my other hard drive was set to master, and turned the computer on. When it is searching for boot records it tells me that its found them on both hard drives, but that both hard drives fail to boot, and then tells me to insert my boot diskette.

Thank god for my laptop and wireless router, i don't know how i'd get this posted.

this is what the screen looks like:

Searching for boot record from IDE-0..OK I
Boot failure from previous device..
Searching for Boot Record from IDE-1..OK
Boot failure from previous device..
Searching for Boot Record from Floppy..Not Found

Boot Failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:
Press any key when ready_

IDE-0 is the 40GiG Maxtor I had installed originally, and IDE-1 is the 11.5 that i got today.

now... i've checked the jumper settings, the IDE cables, and booted it to A: just for the hell of it, but all that does is take me to DOS with my Windows 98 boot disk.

I'm running XP Home on this machine
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
ASRock K7VM4 Motherboard

any suggestions?

THANKS

-justin

I guess the first thing I would do is remove the new drive and see if the old drive still boots. if it does then replace the old drive with the new drive and see if the new drive boots.

ahh XP home again(c**p go pro sorry) um go to your bios and select it there, it might be saing that your second HDD is also a booterbal divise when acholy it ant. so change your boot and change it and also see if your pc is reconising it as an externall HDD

Back
Top Bottom