Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-06-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Baseband Member

Default Blue screens

I am having some problems with a machine. This machine has two hard drives, one is a 40 gig the other is a 120 gig. The main windows partition is on the 120 gig because the 40 gig crashed prior to this incident. The 40 gig is still accessible through windows and all the data is still readable, it is just not bootable. It gives a blue screen immediately following the windows splash screen that says that the file c:\windows\system32\config\software is missing, corrupt or unreadable and that I should fix it.

So, instead of fixing the problem, the person simply got another hard drive (120 gig) and used it for awhile. The other day I did an adaware scan on the 120 gig hard drive and the 40 gig hard drive. As it was scanning the d: drive (40 gig) norton popped up saying it found two viruses and deleted them. Then I got a blue screen and I restarted my machine. Now whenever I start windows using the 120 gig as the master hard drive, I get an error immediately following dell's splash screen saying that the file c:\windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt. Restart windows using the XP cd and use the restore option. From there I tried running a checkdisk and that took forever eventually leading to a blue screen around 70 percent. So, i tried a fix recommended at this site http://www.digitalwebcast.com/articl....jsp?id=8658-1, but there was no directory called c:\windows\repair so that didn't work. Also, during recovery console I would randomely get the blue screen. So I was thinking maybe hardware, however, I removed all ram and tried and that didn't fix problem, maybe a heating problem, but sometimes it will freeze pretty quikly, so I don't know. I am completely out of options. Maybe someone here can help. Thank you so much in advance.

Old 07-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
Baseband Member

Default Re: Blue screens

Which blue screen are you talking about? Is it the one about installation halting to prevent damage to your computer?

O 16581 72452 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:48 PM   #3
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to DarkBlade

if it is stop code, be happy it is there.. They prevent damage.
DarkBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 11:07 PM   #4
Golden Master

I remembered mine when it started to fry a long time ago...no BSOD, but smoke alot...putted a P3 CPU and the whole thing blew up on me...dumb move, the bard was already fried!

Anyhow, your HDDs may have a problem. Have you ried the maxtor test drive?
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 08:32 AM   #5
Baseband Member

On the smaller 40 gig hd i get a message saying windows has stopped to prevent further damage and it is a blue screen. On the 120 gig hd I get an error message on a black background, like dos, saying it could not load the file c:\windows\system32\config\sytem is missing or corrupt, please use the repair function on the XP cd to fix this problem.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

I call it the Blue Screen Of Death

Lol

I don't know if this is related to it but i get a blue screen with little words saying a physical dumping has occured

Probably to do with my hard drive scratching itself and destroying my data

Suggestions ?
dyserq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:22 AM   #7
Baseband Member

I have not tried any kind of tests on the hard drives, however, I have tried to start with one hard drive and it still crashed so I took that one out and tried with the other, both times it still crashes randomly during repairs. The blue screen I randomly get is something to the effect "SYSTEM HALTED: IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL; windows has stopped to prevent further damage to your machine; make sure recently installed hardware is not loose, restart if still having trouble, remove recently installed hardware" I have not installed any new hardware recently or anything so it could be drive issues.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:22 PM   #8
Baseband Member

Disable Caching, it'll take forever for it to install, but it worked for me.
O 16581 72452 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
Baseband Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by O 16581 72452 5
Disable Caching, it'll take forever for it to install, but it worked for me.

I will definately try it
Old 07-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
Baseband Member

Follow Up:

I formatted the drive in another computer and put it back in the old computer. It seems to be working fine so far.