Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
BSOD
 
Archangel112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 201
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
i am busy at work right now, i will answer that in a little bit.

hold tight
Ok
__________________

Archangel112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
Š88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to Š88
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
+1 rep - cool site, thanks for posting
__________________

__________________
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #13
Daemon Poster
 
~K-Pow~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,241
Send a message via MSN to ~K-Pow~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~K-Pow~
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

If you go into your BIOS you should see a boot order, change it so it boots from your CD-Rom first.

Your BIOS could be F2, del, F1 i'm not sure but once in there you should be able to find the boot order and change it.
__________________
"Keep fit and have fun" Bodybreak

Home Computer: Dell inspiron 2200, 1.66 GHZ processor, 80 gig harddrive, 512mb ram, cd/dvd rom, wireless network card.
~K-Pow~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:08 PM   #14
BSOD
 
Archangel112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 201
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~K-Pow~
If you go into your BIOS you should see a boot order, change it so it boots from your CD-Rom first.

Your BIOS could be F2, del, F1 i'm not sure but once in there you should be able to find the boot order and change it.
Done that. I cant boot to CD because I get the blue screen of death, thanks tho
Archangel112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #15
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

To translate what lambofgod posted about that stop error msg, It means that most likely your hdd has failed. Bad sectors, Master Boot Record corruption and other such things can prevent windows from installing and will give you said error message.

WHAT TO DO:
Find out who makes your Hard Drive. Then go to Their website and download their Harddrive Diagnostics utility. Maxtor's PowerMAX will usually be sufficient for most makes of hdds but may not work with others. WD is one of those.
Maxtor: www.Maxtor.com
Seagate: www.Seagate.com
Samsung: www.Samsung.com
Western Digital: www.Westerndigital.com
Fujitsu: www.Fujitsu.com
IBM/Hitachi : www.hitatchi.com

Not all manufacturers have diagnostics tools for their hdds. PowerMAX is usually sufficient for use on almost all drives.

All in all, You may be looking at buying a new harddrive friend.

NOTE: This can also be caused by a Bad Ram stick. Although with that error code, it's unlikely that it would be wrong.
Asmodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #16
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
i know what he said, and he is mistaken.

he CAN reinstall, its just a matter of setting the correct boot order, and pressing a key........



Just some advice, Try not to assume. Unless you are there with him/her, you can never say exactly what is going on. In this case, You were mistaken.
Asmodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #17
BSOD
 
Archangel112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 201
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean
To translate what lambofgod posted about that stop error msg, It means that most likely your hdd has failed. Bad sectors, Master Boot Record corruption and other such things can prevent windows from installing and will give you said error message.

WHAT TO DO:
Find out who makes your Hard Drive. Then go to Their website and download their Harddrive Diagnostics utility. Maxtor's PowerMAX will usually be sufficient for most makes of hdds but may not work with others. WD is one of those.
Maxtor: www.Maxtor.com
Seagate: www.Seagate.com
Samsung: www.Samsung.com
Western Digital: www.Westerndigital.com
Fujitsu: www.Fujitsu.com
IBM/Hitachi : www.hitatchi.com

Not all manufacturers have diagnostics tools for their hdds. PowerMAX is usually sufficient for use on almost all drives.

All in all, You may be looking at buying a new harddrive friend.

NOTE: This can also be caused by a Bad Ram stick. Although with that error code, it's unlikely that it would be wrong.
Ok thanks alot dude, I wont forget it
Archangel112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:42 PM   #18
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Glad to help
Asmodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:48 PM   #19
Fully Optimized
 
LambOfGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
Send a message via MSN to LambOfGod
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean
Just some advice, Try not to assume. Unless you are there with him/her, you can never say exactly what is going on. In this case, You were mistaken.

Alright let me rephrase he CAN reinstall its just a matter of setting the correct boot order, presssing a key.

and having a working harddrive...


Another method that Asmodean forgot to mention, is to try a low level format, sometimes called writng 0s to the drive.

you can get the utility that does this process here.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/l...el-format.html

there are links in that link to all differnt types of manufacters

any you SHOULD DEFINETLY try this before running out and buying a new drive


good luck
__________________
LambOfGod- Q6600 g0 @ 3.06 Ghz * DFI LANPARTY DK X48-T2RS * Antec 1200 * Rosewill RP550 PSU * EVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked *WD 74GB Raptor * 2 X Seagate 1TB 7200.11 (RAID 1) * 4 GB DDR2 1022 GSKILL 5-5-5-13 * Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit/Windows XP 64 Bit
LambOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:02 PM   #20
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 8
Default Re: Blue screen of death problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambOfGod
Alright let me rephrase he CAN reinstall its just a matter of setting the correct boot order, presssing a key.

and having a working harddrive...


Another method that Asmodean forgot to mention, is to try a low level format, sometimes called writng 0s to the drive.

you can get the utility that does this process here.

http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/l...el-format.html

there are links in that link to all differnt types of manufacters

any you SHOULD DEFINETLY try this before running out and buying a new drive


good luck



Good point Lamb, Maxtor's PowerMAX can also do that if you end up using it.
__________________

Asmodean is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0