Blue font for name of external drive

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
I hooked up an external hard drive enclosure with a hitatchi 80GB 3.5" internal drive inside it, and when I go under "start" and "my computer" the external drive is shown next to my local disk (C:) drive, but the font for the name of the external drive is blue, as is the font for all the folder names which i have on the external drive. Any one know why the font is blue, when all the other fonts for folder names and the local disk (C:) are all black?

If I remember correctly, blue filename/folder font means they are compressed. Check your drive to see if it's using data compression.

Thanks spank_fusion, that's what it was. For the external drive, under the "general" tab in the disk properties box there were two choices at the bottom which you could either check or uncheck. Both boxs, "Compress drive to save disk space" and "Allow index service to this disk for fast file searching", were checked. I unchecked the "Compress drive to save disk space" choice, hit "apply", and after a few minutes of it adjusting itself, the blue font was back to being black.

Am I correct to assume that uncompressed is better? That is what my internal drive was set to. Also, should I keep the other choice, "Allow index service to this disk for fast file searching", selected as it is now?

The indexing service is optional. Basically, if you search your computer a lot, then leave it on. Otherwise, if you want that extra bit of performance, turn it off. It's up to you. As for compression, that's also up to you. If you want some extra space, go for it. I prefer to keep it uncompressed though to keep performance up.

Back
Top Bottom