Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-24-2014, 12:19 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Black Screen Monitor

Hi guys, today I needed to disconnect all cables from the PC tower to do something with it, and later on reconnected them. However, now the monitor doesn't seem to be working properly, as it gives the "going to sleep" message then a black screen. I have checked inside the tower and nothing seems to be loose. There are two cables connecting the monitor: power cord and HDMI cable. I have tried using a VGA cable, but that doesn't work either. Any help would be appreciated!

guoshenlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Black Screen Monitor

Open the case and take the ram sticks out and re-seat them and see if that helps..

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
Beta Member

Hello BK_123, unfortunately your suggestion did not solve my problem, but I thank you for your reply.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
Wizard of Wires

Check the programming in the monitor itself and check the OS setup for hibernate and sleep modes. But it sure sounds like the HDMI cable isn't seated in the sockets. My HP monitor will do that id there's no signal. It will search all the inputs and if no signal it goes to standby mode.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:05 AM   #5
Beta Member

20140823_215015.jpg
Hello setishock, thank you for your reply. Attached above is an (extremely poor) image of my HDMI socket. It doesn't seem to be loose or out of place. I am unsure how to check the programming in the monitor or the OS setup, as I cannot access my desktop's control panel due to the monitor malfunction. If this information helps, I was just using my desktop fine moments before I disconnected all the cables and the malfunction occurred.
Old 08-24-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
Beta Member

I got my monitor to work by using a device with a VGA socket that plugs into a DVI socket. So basically I plug the VGA cable into the device, which is plugged into a DVI socket. Although the problem has been resolved, I still feel concerned knowing both my HDMI and VGA sockets don't work. Does any one know why they are not working? If this information helps, both the HDMI and VGA sockets are connected to the motherboard, while the DVI socket is connected to the video card. So I'm guessing it could be those sockets on the motherboard have stopped working?
Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
Baseband Member

Hi!

Have you checked the bios settings for the graphics? They could have gone back to defaults when you pulled those cables.
Wherewolf? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
..m.0,0.m..
Site Team

Default Black Screen Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by guoshenlin View Post
I got my monitor to work by using a device with a VGA socket that plugs into a DVI socket. So basically I plug the VGA cable into the device, which is plugged into a DVI socket. Although the problem has been resolved, I still feel concerned knowing both my HDMI and VGA sockets don't work. Does any one know why they are not working? If this information helps, both the HDMI and VGA sockets are connected to the motherboard, while the DVI socket is connected to the video card. So I'm guessing it could be those sockets on the motherboard have stopped working?

That's exactly how it should be.

When you have a dedicated graphics card, all modern bios' usually disable the onboard ones. If you're using onboard, why have a graphics card?