Black Screen Boot-Up Cure

GrayT

Baseband Member
I've searched under as many words as I could possibly think up that pertained to my problem, but never found anything that fixed the problem.

For those that aren't aware of this black screen boot-up problem, basically when you restart your computer and after it passes the BIOS and then starts to load your start-up items it will go to a black screen. For me it does this for 28 seconds, and just sits there doing nothing, then decides to go the Windows XP loading screen with the 3 small boxes.

Well I was curious as to how much my fans were really moving, and trying out differant configurations (push-pull, all exhaust, all intake) and I only have 2 case fans which are on the side of my computer... so every little bit of air flow helps. For those of you that are curious, the fans are on the left side and both are positioned on the bottom of the side panel. They work best on both exhaust (48C Idle with nothing, 40C Idle with exhaust.)

Anyways, so I unplugged them and my 80GB HDD from my adapter and booted up. I noticed that it instantly went to the Windows XP loading screen. When I got into the desktop SpeedFan notified me saying that it detected new sensors. It was then I noticed this was odd and looked at the list. No where to be found was my 80GB HDD. The 80GB HDD is packed half-way at approximately 42GB of multimedia. I've set it up in the BIOS so it doesn't boot primarily, but the boot sequence still takes ages.

I'm thinking that since there is so much data on the 80GB HDD that maybe it has to load all of the data before it starts up? I don't really understand why a HDD would slow the start-up down 28 seconds. Sorry for the essay but I've noticed a lot of people have this problem and have yet to find a working cure. So if you have a secondary HDD for multimedia, or anything that wouldn't harm the boot-up process just disconnect it for one run and see if it cures the black screen boot-up problem. :D

Well if you have 42gigs filled up on one hhd....That's got to be the most i've heard on a drive so far...

out of my 160gig's i only used around 25%....Cuz i save
everything to Data disks....

So , with that much stuff an a hhd, it will add some time out of the boot up time. When was the last time you ran the Defragmenter in safe mode ??

It's good to do a defrag every 2 to 3 month's...

Every 2 or 3 months? Damn, well I do mine in normal mode every week. Everytime I do it there is absolutely no fragmentations. What's the purpose of doing it in safe mode exactly? It can move files that normal mode can't because in normal mode they would be in use? If that's the case then I don't think it would make a differance because all I have on this HDD is music/video/websites/downloads/documents/games. None of which are ever in use when I defrag.

Also, I just tried to recreate the problem and the BIOS was just looking for the drive this time. It took awhile to boot up like normal even with the 80GB HDD non-detected so I have no idea what's going on now. SpeedFan did not notify me this time about my sensors like there was one missing so something is wierd.

Well, the reason for doing it in safe mode is that there is nothing running in the back groung, and you don't have to temp. disable the anti-virus , like you would in normal mode...

Plus it Defrag's alot faster in safe mode.... :p

Back
Top Bottom