black screen

compreflex

Beta member
I'm building my first computer and everything is plugged in, fans are whirring, leds are all on. But nothing is happening on my screen. I'm using a msi 970 gaming mother board with 16 gb ram 1000w power supply, 4.2ghz processor, and a geforce gt 610. I tried reseating it but nothing any ideas?

I'm building my first computer and everything is plugged in, fans are whirring, leds are all on. But nothing is happening on my screen. I'm using a msi 970 gaming mother board with 16 gb ram 1000w power supply, 4.2ghz processor, and a geforce gt 610. I tried reseating it but nothing any ideas?

Seriously, if you absolutely need XP, you should boot it in Linux at this point.

Try pulling out all but one stick of RAM and see what happens!

It's not the OS. It hasn't been installed yet.

I can not believe that board doesn't have onboard graphics. What are you supposed to do when you have a problem like he's having? Your blind. You have to trouble shoot with out benefit of the bios or the OS. You're blindly stumbling around. Bad design.

Now here's the catch 22. The VGA port is the fall back port when the drivers are not installed. You have to be able to see what you're doing to install the OS then the vid card drivers. If the card is DOA and you don't have onboard graphics, you are dead in the water.

OK rant over.

compreflex, grab a VGA cord and patch the monitor to the vid card's VGA port. Put the OS disc in the drive and reboot. See anything?

Seriously, if you absolutely need XP, you should boot it in Linux at this point.

Try pulling out all but one stick of RAM and see what happens!

Do you have an on-board speaker? If it's not beeping at start up, but everything else is cranking on with no video, this is a good sign your RAM needs checked one stick at a time.

Are you sure your board can handle all 16 gig? Sure it's the right speed?

^Random out of place talk of operating systems when a PC is failing POST?

1. check all the PSU cables are connected; CPU power, 24-pin motherboard power, PCI-E/GPU power.
2. Find the manual for your mobo, find out which RAM slot has first priority, take all the DIMMS out and install a single DIMM into the first priority RAM slot.
3. Find out if your motherboard actually supports your CPU and RAM. Some AMD boards are funny, as a lot of them were designed for older chips and require a BIOS update to use with Kaveri or Godaveri CPUs/APUs.
4. Jump the CMOS on the motherboard

Can you provide more accurate specs for your parts, such as model numbers for Mobo?

I was just adding that Linux would be a better choice, as others noted. ^Not random^.

I am trying to diagnose the RAM, clearly, but whatever you say. Boards with no beep usually have a bad processor, bad RAM or incorrect RAM configuration. The RAM is also easy to check. I bet one stick and they get to BIOS... Unless the board can't handle 4GB DIMMs or the speed it's clocked at. Without knowing what board and RAM it is, this is where I'd start.

What are your specs, anyway? Also, you've gotta use Xp 64 bit once you get there.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom