black borders on monitor after fresh install winxp

decision fish

Baseband Member
does anyone know why:

when i perform a fresh install of xp (pro or home) i end up with a nice clean operating system with a nasty black border at the edges of my screen, cutting off a good bit of real estate, like turning a 19" monitor into a 17 " effectively. and the only way i can see to rectify is to use the manual controls to stretch the screen out, which in turn causes it's own problems.

i get the latest gpu drivers from the nvidia site btw.

does anyone else suffer from this or know a solution it is really making me upset:mad: ?

thanks a lot

thanks for replying but i should have mentioned that i tried that it had no positive effect, also the res was the same res as before the fresh install, when the monitor screen was full to th edges,

i really do not understand this it has happened to me more than once on several desktops

i am absolutely positive thats the same driver and that i rebooted after installing it (spend my life rebooting), it happened on the pc in my sig and other desktops too.

do you think it's a driver issue?

Good, sometimes people forget to reboot :rolleyes:

That's what it sounds like, especially if it's happening on other PCs because that means it's probably not a hardware issue.

Do you have the CD that came with the card? Try installing the drivers on those.

unfortunately i picked this pc up second hand with only the mobo drivers on disc, the display is otherwise as it should be,

could it be the monitor driver?

not right now, it is my brothers pc i can't get to it atm. also he had a go at using the manual controls and stretched it out to fill the screen.

because this has happened to me more than once i felt the need to reach out to those with knowledge, i may reinstall it again and then i would take a pic for sure.

in the absence of a pic it is a perfect black border around all 4 edges of the screen, about an inch or so. everything else about the display looks right, just missing that extra bit of screen that was there before

if anyones got any ideas then please, go ahead.

otherwise if i get the opportunity i will take a pic and resurrect this thread cos i want to know why this happens.

cheers guys

It does sound like a driver problem. Does it have onboard graphics or is it an external graphics card?

Back
Top Bottom