Bits and Bobs

OK so I'm getting my new build. I have all the parts, case, hard drive etc etc. about to be ordered. I've never built a PC before, are there any tools or cables etc. I need that wont be included with any of my hardware?
All the screws, cables and other small things will come with the case and motherboard. All you need is a good preferably magnetic (dropping screws inside the case can be a pain) Phillips screwdriver.

Anti-static wrist strap, attach this to an earth (e.g. you computer case) and you will be grounded therefore you wont have the chance to of frying any of the components in your mobo from static electricity.
Some people ground themselves by other means, like touching the case before doing any work on the comp, but I would use the strap, especialy if your new to all of this.

I got mine from amazon, Im pretty sure you could get them from some stores, but I found it easier to just order one online.

Anti-static wrist strap, attach this to an earth (e.g. you computer case) and you will be grounded therefore you wont have the chance to of frying any of the components in your mobo from static electricity.
Some people ground themselves by other means, like touching the case before doing any work on the comp, but I would use the strap, especialy if your new to all of this.

These 'Earth Straps' only work if you connect to an actual ground.

Like bare copper piping in the house. If you strap to the computer case then this will be only effective when the PSU is in the case and it's plugged in because the case becomes earthed.

^ uhm they are not really necessary. Good safety precaution but I've already done 2 builds without them, on carpet, in the middle of a nice dry staticy winter.

Just make sure you are not running up and down carpet and rubbing your self on wool and touching the parts everywhere. Hold everything by the side or edges and you should be fine

^ uhm they are not really necessary. Good safety precaution but I've already done 2 builds without them, on carpet, in the middle of a nice dry staticy winter.

Just make sure you are not running up and down carpet and rubbing your self on wool and touching the parts everywhere. Hold everything by the side or edges and you should be fine

Fully agree with you.

I don't use earth straps. Although I will occasionally touch a radiator pipe as i'm moving round the table during a build.

Sorry, you are correct about having to install and plug in your PSU to be truly earthed, but I guess its down to your own opinion whether or not you want to use a wristband or your own methods.
My motherboard cost me £170, I know that im not going to take any risks when handling it.

Back
Top Bottom