Bit of help please

Jamie_100

In Runtime
I am looking to buy a laptop and was wondering about processors for it and wanted to know what are basically the same like:

AMD 64
AMD XP
sempron
pentium
penitum m

etc.

So if there was a pentium 3.0ghz or sumthing, what would be the equivilent in the others?

Jamie_100 said:
I am looking to buy a laptop and was wondering about processors for it and wanted to know what are basically the same like:

AMD 64
AMD XP
sempron
pentium
penitum m

etc.

So if there was a pentium 3.0ghz or sumthing, what would be the equivilent in the others?

Each brand of processor is different. Where you lose power, you gain in battery life... Where you lose in battery life you gain in power.

The Pentium Ms (With Centrino) have a better battery life than the Sempron, however, the Sempron better compares witht the Celeron... In performance, the Sempron kills the Celeron... AMD 64 kills the Pentium M, but the Pentium M kills the AMD 64 in battery life...

So, you have your lowend processors:

Celeron - More Battery Life and Less Processing Power
Sempron - Less Battery Life and More Processiing Power

Highend processors:

AMD 64 - More Power and less battery life
Pentium M - Less Power and more battery life

Okay, first of all, the only CPU's you should be considering for a laptop are:

Mobile AMD Sempron
AMD Turion 64
DTR AMD Athlon 64
Intel Celeron M
Intel Pentium M

A Mobile AMD Sempron competes with an Intel Celeron M and is better than it in most cases, despite having a lot less cache.

An AMD Turion 64 competes with a Pentium M, and offers slightly better performance, although battery life is usually not as good, unless it's a Turion MT.

DTR AMD Athlon 64 competes with high-end Pentium M's imo, although some would say Pentium 4-M's, however I find them to be out of the question. Far too hot for laptop use. DRT AMD Athlon 64's are the ultimate CPU for desktop replacements.

There is no way to compare CPU's clock for clock, because Intel and AMD CPU's excel at different tasks.

acphenom said:
Okay, first of all, the only CPU's you should be considering for a laptop are:

Mobile AMD Sempron
AMD Turion 64
DTR AMD Athlon 64
Intel Celeron M
Intel Pentium M

A Mobile AMD Sempron competes with an Intel Celeron M and is better than it in most cases, despite having a lot less cache.

An AMD Turion 64 competes with a Pentium M, and offers slightly better performance, although battery life is usually not as good, unless it's a Turion MT.

DTR AMD Athlon 64 competes with high-end Pentium M's imo, although some would say Pentium 4-M's, however I find them to be out of the question. Far too hot for laptop use. DRT AMD Athlon 64's are the ultimate CPU for desktop replacements.

There is no way to compare CPU's clock for clock, because Intel and AMD CPU's excel at different tasks.

You just basically said the same thing I said, except with a lot more words :p

i suggest a centrino, good power, good battery, but if your gaming on a laptop alot, get the amd Turion

Although Turion performs better in gaming apps than a Dothan, the GPU's available with Turion laptops are usually nothing special, so I would recommend a 533MHz FSB Dothan instead.

If you don't game, then get a cheap 533MHz FSB Dothan or a 400MHz FSB Dothan (they are cheaper and consume less power)

i am a fan of the centrino, i think its an outstanding processor. AMD is good ,but id like to see them achieve the balance of power adnbattery life the centrino achieves.

Back
Top Bottom