Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-13-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Bios updating

Is this a necessary thing to do, now my computer is getting on a bit i have been thinking about it for some time, i have a jetway v266b motherboard with the original bios version on, would it pay me to update my bios?, help pc performance, what are the pros and cons of doing it?

blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:10 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: Bios updating

Na, you only need to do it if your having problems with the computer mate. Have a look at the new updates, and if any of the fixes apply to you then do it, otherwise theres no point. I just done mine a few weeks ago, but thats for processor support, coz im gonna update it soon.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:58 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Thanks Raffaz il leave it for now but i am looking at updating my processor and hdd, i would idealy like to get a amd athlon 2200 or 2400+ as i think thats aboat as high as i can go with my mb
Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

they only tell you to update the bios if your having problems. i would only update mine if there was something in the update that really appealed to me. otherwise its risky. if you fcuk up your bios then it aint gonna be an easy fix
Old 04-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
they only tell you to update the bios if your having problems. i would only update mine if there was something in the update that really appealed to me. otherwise its risky. if you fcuk up your bios then it aint gonna be an easy fix
Ive seen some google reports on it and dont rearlly like the idea, but given the age of my mb that i have been looking into it
Old 04-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

yea no harm in looking into it. just see what the updates offer. for my laptop i tried an automatic installer just as a test which didnt update and gave an error. i havent tried again. theres no point. especially when my laptop gets old, i wont want to upgrade it hardware wise so there would be no point me touching the bios.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Thanks Raffaz il leave it for now but i am looking at updating my processor and hdd, i would idealy like to get a amd athlon 2200 or 2400+ as i think thats aboat as high as i can go with my mb
Check your BIOS revision on the web site, you might not even need to do the update, as your BIOS might already support the processor your after.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:37 PM   #8
muz
Golden Master

yeah only do it if there is an issue
oh and is that an athlon xp 2000+ you are planning on getting , i would get the 2000(in fact i already have one ) they perform just as good as a 2.2ghz p4 in some tests yet they are only 1.66ghz and runs pretty cool as well , obviously not as coolas latest processors but coool enough
Old 04-14-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz379 View Post
yeah only do it if there is an issue
oh and is that an athlon xp 2000+ you are planning on getting , i would get the 2000(in fact i already have one ) they perform just as good as a 2.2ghz p4 in some tests yet they are only 1.66ghz and runs pretty cool as well , obviously not as coolas latest processors but coool enough
It is the 2000+ i have been looking at them on ebay, would it be worth my while in getting one then?. im only on 1.54ghz, so is it worth it, if they perform like you said as good as a 2.2ghz i think it might be., how difficult is it to change the processor?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
how difficult is it to change the processor?
Its not difficult at all, just take your time mate. Heres a guide
http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/pc-building/fitting/cpu/