BIOS update PROBLEM

Looks like an RMA is in order.

I never really liked using the ASUSupdate and similar software for updating the BIOS. There's too many things that could go wrong while flashing the BIOS in a Windows environment.

Every Asus board I've had I have flashed using Asus Update (except one retro flash) after running EndItAll to stop unnecessary processes and I have yet to encounter a problem. All on 32bit os mind you

Having looked around the net after reading this it appears to be a Asus Update/Vista 64 problem and is quite common. Which is not good.

Did you try the Crash Free Bios 3 method?

Try CrashFree BIOS 3 like this:
- Insert your Motherboard Support CD
- Turn off the PC for 10 seconds
- Power up and watch for activities on your DVD. The CrashFree BIOS 3 should now start looking for the BIOS file (named P5K.ROM or something like that) and when found start flashing. Wait for at least four minutes for the process to complete.

I'm curious worshipme, why was there a flash drive involved? If I flash using AsusUpdate the bios rom file is usually in my docs directory, no flash/floppy disk involved.

Did the blind flash Remeniz linked not work either? Did you manage to get a FDD and try it?

EDIT: According to SiSoftware Sandra the bios is socketed so you may get away with a new bios chip.

I've tried with the support CD, a USB flash drive and an FDD and neither worked.

I'm curious worshipme, why was there a flash drive involved? If I flash using AsusUpdate the bios rom file is usually in my docs directory, no flash/floppy disk involved.
I'd always assumed a flash drive or FDD was necessary. But it should have still flashed correctly, right?
EDIT: According to SiSoftware Sandra the bios is socketed so you may get away with a new bios chip.
I don't know anyone who has a P5K and would be willing to give me their BIOS chip. Is there any where I can get hold of one?

I've never used a floppy or flash drive when bios updating. I would "assume" that it would work though, not too sure on that one.

Asus should be able to sell you a new bios chip if it is indeed replaceable, I'd contact them

Honestly, by the time I've contacted ASUS etc and they've pissed around before sending me a new chip which doesn't work etc. I might as well have RMA'ed which I have done.

Oh well, waiting then I guess, two chips coming, two boards?? A P5E maybe?

That's what I ended up doing, I've got two pc's now lmao

Back
Top Bottom