bios update

graham7773

Baseband Member
Did a couple of searches, no joy. Step by step on how to update my bios please. System Info tells me my "new" computer has a bios version dated 28/11/2005. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. I am fairly new on this forum and 68 yr old so keep it simple if you would. Cro-Magnon trying to keep up with homo sapiens.

Did the PC come with Windows 7? Chances are the BIOS isn't that old unless you bought it second hand. Grab speccy and do a full download for us, that way it does two things:

First, finds out what your BIOS is *exactly* (If you're just seeing a copyright notice, or if indeed the BIOS is really that old)

Secondly, we can find the updated BIOS for your system, and help you update it with exactly the right file and process (because it CAN vary based on different computers/motherboards)

Lastly, why are you trying to update the BIOS? If you're doing it just for the sake of updating it, it's a bad idea. a BIOS is one of those things that if it's working, don't "fix" it.

If you're having a specific issue tied to the BIOS being out of date, then that's another story. :)

Speccy - System Information - Free Download for the download. Once Speccy is downloaded, install it and then go to File > Save As Text file and put it wherever you can get to it, open the text file, select all the text, and choose copy (Edit > Select All, then Edit > Copy) and then reply here and paste the output here, so that we can give it a once over.

OG, Mobo is D945GCZ. System info says NT945103.86A.3231.2005.1128.1408.28/11/2005. 3.4mhz CPU, 3gb ram 400w ps. This computer is NOS, was stored new/unused for 5 1/2 years. I recently installed Windows 7 Premium over the existing (my one) XP Home instal and a new 250gb sata hdd. HD clone is my friend. This resolved some graphics issues. I am not a gamer, just use the computer for day to day, ebay and visiting some motoring and computer sites plus Microsoft games. Bios update not necessary? I just re-read your reply.....
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
CPU
Intel Pentium 4 650
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
3.24 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 266MHz (4-4-4-12)
Motherboard
Intel Corporation D945GCZ (J3E1) 42 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1680x1050@59Hz)
Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
Hard Drives
244GB Western Digital WDC WD2500AAKS-00L9A0 ATA Device (SATA) 38 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D ATA Device
HUAWEI Mass Storage USB Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Like I said, Cro Magnon...
Motherboard
Manufacturer Intel Corporation
Model D945GCZ
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model i945P/PL/G/GZ
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801GB (ICH7/R)
Southbridge Revision A1
System Temperature 41 °C
BIOS
Brand Intel Corp.
Version NT94510J.86A.3231.2005.1128.1408
Date 11/28/2005
Voltage
+1.5V 1.562 V
CPU CORE 1.200 V
ATX +3.3V 3.349 V
ATX +5V 5.156 V
ATX +12V 12.235 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI-X
Slot Type PCI-X
Slot Usage Available
Data But Width 8192 bit
Slot Designation PCIE X16 SLOT
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI-X
Slot Type PCI-X
Slot Usage Available
Data But Width 256 bit
Slot Designation PCIE X1 SLOT 1
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data But Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI SLOT 1
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Data But Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI SLOT 2
Slot Number

If the system is working as expected, there's no need to update the BIOS, correct.

Unless there's some earth shattering fault that is fixed in a later BIOS edition, it's very rare that you would need to update the BIOS, so, if its working fine, write it off as one less thing you have to do! :)

Back
Top Bottom