Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default

Hi all, I am getting a good ASUS Netbook off someone. They told me that there is an issue with the BIOS, When the clock battery runs flat it will load into the BIOS setup, however once the time and date are set the BIOS won't load anything, No picture at least and no activity, Would I be better off flashing the BIOS or is there a quick fix for this?


Specs are:
Windows XP
AMD HD4250 Graphics
160GB HDD
1GB Ram
Intel Atom 1.7 GHz

Please help..
__________________

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
arsenalbates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 615
Send a message via MSN to arsenalbates
Default Re: BIOS Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Hi all, I am getting a good ASUS Netbook off someone. They told me that there is an issue with the BIOS, When the clock battery runs flat it will load into the BIOS setup, however once the time and date are set the BIOS won't load anything, No picture at least and no activity, Would I be better off flashing the BIOS or is there a quick fix for this?


Specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premium
AMD HD4250 Graphics
320GB HDD
2GB DDR3 Ram
AMD Athlon II Neo K125 1.7GHz Processor

Please help..


Before that I would see if the bios battery is easy to access (perhaps under plastic flap on base or under keyboard)

If so then replace it.

It could be that when the bios battery runs out the bios settings are reset and the netbook then tries to boot from another device other than your hard drive thus causing the black screen.

Make sure boot order is set to hard drive first.
__________________

arsenalbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: BIOS Issues

I have now gotten the laptop, I have gone into the BIOS and tried setting the date and time, I set the date and time and saved the settings and exited, It gets to the screen showing all the settings and then a screen with a flashing line comes up and doesn't do anything after that, http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_PC/Eee_P...hell/#download
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Daemon Poster
 
arsenalbates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 615
Send a message via MSN to arsenalbates
Default Re: BIOS Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
I have now gotten the laptop, I have gone into the BIOS and tried setting the date and time, I set the date and time and saved the settings and exited, It gets to the screen showing all the settings and then a screen with a flashing line comes up and doesn't do anything after that, ASUS - Eee- ASUS Eee PC 1005HA (Seashell)
It sound to me like the hard drive may be failing or the boot record on the drive may be missing or damaged. I would get an external dvd drive and run a copy of seatool dos on the machine to check the hard drive for faults. Just a download online and then burn to disk using PowerISO.

Otherwise you could try and make a bootable USB drive with that tool on there.
arsenalbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default

I have tried starting a system recovery but it doesn't load..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Daemon Poster
 
arsenalbates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 615
Send a message via MSN to arsenalbates
Default Re: BIOS Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
I have tried starting a system recovery but it doesn't load..
I would say the hard drive has died or on the way out.
arsenalbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: BIOS Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalbates View Post
I would say the hard drive has died or on the way out.
It doesn't say anything to indicate that there is no OS not installed..

Great another laptop hard drive about to die, I haven't long replaced another, All I was told when I go it that it was a BIOS issue,
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Daemon Poster
 
arsenalbates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 615
Send a message via MSN to arsenalbates
Default Re: BIOS Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
It doesn't say anything to indicate that there is no OS not installed..

Great another laptop hard drive about to die, I haven't long replaced another, All I was told when I go it that it was a BIOS issue,
Well I'd rather have a hard drive failure than a bios problem .

The only real way to know is to download a copy of seatools and load it on a USB drive or cd using an external drive and run the tests.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Or you could try flashing the bios if you can't test the hard drive.

You could also try pulling the hard drive out and putting it Into a caddy or as a slave drive on another machine.
arsenalbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: BIOS Issues

I will try seatools..
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: BIOS Issues

Can you provide me a link to use on USB..
__________________

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
asus, bios, clock, drivers, hdd, seatools, setup

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0