Which is better DSL or Cable

The cable around here tends to be really congested and speeds never go much over 30kb/s at peak hours with a 6mbps plan.

I got Fios and i love it with the TV the phone and the internet.
I had optonline before and the most i ever got was about 700kbs not with Fios the most i have ever got was 2.2Mbs but its usally around 1Mbs which is fine wit me cuz i get a free wireless gateway so i am playing my Xbox 360 on a wireless network which is great :D i recommend Fios. (remember that u pay a month ahead of time soooo dont get shocked at ur first bill which my friend did :D)

If money isn't an option, get Cable. It generally offers faster download speeds, but is poor for uploading info. If you are running a website and constantly upload huge files, get DSL. It generally offers faster uploads then downloads. I have Verizon DSL and it is great. I usually get 90 kb download speed for most files, and with a download manager you can speed that up with mirror sites.

=/ i have the verizon dsl 768 plan and im downloading a game at 45 kbps. the most that i can ever acheive is about 90 kbps which really sucks. i wish i had fios or something if it was available.

=/ i have the verizon dsl 768 plan and im downloading a game at 45 kbps. the most that i can ever acheive is about 90 kbps which really sucks. i wish i had fios or something if it was available.
You probably have a 768 kilobits/second plan. That actually converts to only 96 kilobytes/second, so yeah...you probably will only get about 50 kB/s on a regular day.

I was thinking about getting FiOS, I have cable...although I do get speeds of up to 1 mB/s with a good server. Generally with a decent movie torrent I get about 200 kB/s.

well there is prolly differences between the uk and usa but generally in the uk i would say adsl as there are many more isps so the price war can get real intense with each isp trying to out do another one . As for cable well i dunno i suppose you get what y oupay for , for instance my parents pay £15 a month for 1mb broadband with a 2gb cap on wat you can download (crap downloaded 12gb one month and nothing happened ) and yeah i know that is crap but every time i tell them to upgrade to a better package they say no or some other shit so i am like oh well i am just gonna download theese things nevertheless .anyway that was a lil bit off topic

I would choose ADSL for the simple fact that (in the uk anyway) it is the cheapest and is generaly fast enough for most people and there is a wider variety of companies out there providing different packages

As for the distance to speed thingy , i live around 600m away from my local exchange and line tests report my maximim at 6megs so i dunno i know it sonds bloody better than my cheap ass 1meg

Back
Top Bottom