Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #21
Golden Master

Default Re: Which is better DSL or Cable

The cable around here tends to be really congested and speeds never go much over 30kb/s at peak hours with a 6mbps plan.

LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #22
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to ssc456

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
I like about 20 Meters from the exchange - i am on a 8MB/s Plan, and i can download files @ 850KB/s
u c this is what my uncle told me he told me that ppl right next door to the exchange can only recieve 16Mb but if you look at raffaz thread here http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=57529 there are offering 24Mb broadband ???

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #23
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
u c this is what my uncle told me he told me that ppl right next door to the exchange can only recieve 16Mb but if you look at raffaz thread here http://computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=57529 there are offering 24Mb broadband ???
Take a look here, there are different types of ADSL. That ISP i provided the link for use a newer type called ADSL2+
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADSL
Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:43 PM   #24
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to NEED WOW NOW

I got Fios and i love it with the TV the phone and the internet.
I had optonline before and the most i ever got was about 700kbs not with Fios the most i have ever got was 2.2Mbs but its usally around 1Mbs which is fine wit me cuz i get a free wireless gateway so i am playing my Xbox 360 on a wireless network which is great i recommend Fios. (remember that u pay a month ahead of time soooo dont get shocked at ur first bill which my friend did )
NEED WOW NOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #25
Daemon Poster

If money isn't an option, get Cable. It generally offers faster download speeds, but is poor for uploading info. If you are running a website and constantly upload huge files, get DSL. It generally offers faster uploads then downloads. I have Verizon DSL and it is great. I usually get 90 kb download speed for most files, and with a download manager you can speed that up with mirror sites.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #26
Fully Optimized

=/ i have the verizon dsl 768 plan and im downloading a game at 45 kbps. the most that i can ever acheive is about 90 kbps which really sucks. i wish i had fios or something if it was available.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #27
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by spywarebanisher View Post
=/ i have the verizon dsl 768 plan and im downloading a game at 45 kbps. the most that i can ever acheive is about 90 kbps which really sucks. i wish i had fios or something if it was available.
You probably have a 768 kilobits/second plan. That actually converts to only 96 kilobytes/second, so yeah...you probably will only get about 50 kB/s on a regular day.

I was thinking about getting FiOS, I have cable...although I do get speeds of up to 1 mB/s with a good server. Generally with a decent movie torrent I get about 200 kB/s.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #28
muz
Golden Master

well there is prolly differences between the uk and usa but generally in the uk i would say adsl as there are many more isps so the price war can get real intense with each isp trying to out do another one . As for cable well i dunno i suppose you get what y oupay for , for instance my parents pay £15 a month for 1mb broadband with a 2gb cap on wat you can download (crap downloaded 12gb one month and nothing happened ) and yeah i know that is crap but every time i tell them to upgrade to a better package they say no or some other shit so i am like oh well i am just gonna download theese things nevertheless .anyway that was a lil bit off topic

I would choose ADSL for the simple fact that (in the uk anyway) it is the cheapest and is generaly fast enough for most people and there is a wider variety of companies out there providing different packages

As for the distance to speed thingy , i live around 600m away from my local exchange and line tests report my maximim at 6megs so i dunno i know it sonds bloody better than my cheap ass 1meg