Which is better? 2-512 or 1 Gig of DDRAM

Sir Bors

Solid State Member
Right now I have just only 256 MB of DDRAM on my computer. I want to upgrade to at least 1 gig of DDRAM and I was just wondering if there was any difference in putting in 2 - 512 MB DDRAM Chips or just 1 - gig DDRAM Chip.

I could easily get the 512 MB at the local Compusa but would have to order the 1 Gig or DDRAM from Compusa online and have it mailed.

My main reason to upgrade it to play games if that make a difference.

My motherboard is a MSI with a 32 bit AMD athlon 2+ CPU. My Current DDRAM is a 256 MB PC2100.

Thank-you
Sir Bors.

well there is quite a big difference if u can get 2x 512 in dual channel. That way the memory will work quite much faster. If u can't get dual channel (ram and mobo has to support it) then it's pretty much the same.

Yeah, check out the specs for your motherboard. If it supports dual channel ram, go for the 2 sticks of 512 ram. There is a great performance boost when you have dual channeled ram. Think of it this way, when you have dual channeled ram, the information is being spread out to two sticks and therefore can be processed much more efficently.

If your mobo doesnt support the dual-channeled ram, then just opt for 1 gig stick. Either way your comp will get a boost.

also, if you are planning to upgrade in the future, and the motherboard supports a certain amount ( say - 4gb ) , i would go for the 1gb stick, that way i wouldnt have to remove the 2 512s later....

but if its dc'able, do the 2 512s

lemon said:
also, if you are planning to upgrade in the future, and the motherboard supports a certain amount ( say - 4gb ) , i would go for the 1gb stick, that way i wouldnt have to remove the 2 512s later....

but if its dc'able, do the 2 512s

Nah, I wouldn't worry about. If you even THINK about 4gb's in the near future, you're probably going to be thinking about a new mobo too

2x 512mb in Dual Channel will be faster than just a 1gb stick. Less latency too.

Thanks to all, That gives me some information to work with. My motherboard can support up to 3 Gigs I have three slots but if it is double sideed I can only use two of the slots. Slots 1 and 2 or 2 and 3. Slots 1 and 2 are placed very close together.

My next questions would be.

1) Is dual channel the same as DDRAM.

2) For those that play FP shooters. How much memory is needed for todays games. And how much will be needed in the near future.

I can not see my self getting a new computer for a year or more from now.

1. Dual channel is a function of the mother board. Not the ram card. Any supported ddr ram card for your board will function. Having said that, I would get the fastest ddr ram speed your board will support. You state you're currently at pc2100. See if your board supports any faster ram cards.
2> Most modern games will run on 512 megs. But if you get in to the really hardcore games A little bit more would not hurt. Or go to dual channel mode.

My mother board will support up to a 400 mhz ram speed. But I don't believe my CPU will handle that. I had a 300 something speed Ram and my computer did not work well. Went back to the PC2100 and it worked fine. So right now my DDRAM speed is the same as my CPU. Which is a AMD Athlon 2+.

Read my manual and it says I can do dual channel if I put the ram in slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 3. I have only 3 slots. I misundertood what my manual was stating in a earlier post by me.

Question 1 - Is there any difference between single sided and double side Ram.

Question 2 - To use dual channel do I have to do something special or do I just put the memory sticks in the proper slots and the motherboard will know what to do and take care if it.

Thanks
Sir Bors.

Back
Top Bottom