best way to test?

hascet

Fully Optimized
Whats the best way to test your cpu under load right now i'm doing super pi 32M and folding at home is that good enough to be fully under load? Or what else should I do?

you think something like bf2 would be good enough? and when i do do that would i just use like ctrl+alt+del to minimize it then look at my temps real quick?

folding@home or something similar, prime95, orthos or some other stuff like that. As long as it takes 100% cpu usage it's going to be good. I prefer using prime95.

when i test, i'll either do a prime 95 over night, or play oblivion. either way, i know im stressing it (a little)

ya with prime 95 it hovers around 90-92% usage but its way better than super pi because the highest temp i got with super pi was like 50*C with prime 95 i'm getting 58*C which is disappointing since my cpu isn't even overclocked :(

are you using the stock cooler? normally they are decent with the C2d's, but yours might be a rare bad one. If your using a aftermarket, make sure its on tight, and you have decent amount (that is not too much, and not too little) of thermal paste.

note: this would involve needing to re-apply the paste after to re-created the original contact, so don't check that out yet if you don't have any arctic silver laying around. If it does happen to be a stock cooler, then this shoudln't be an issue.

ya its the stock cooler with the thermal pad on it, I tried to order some arctic silver 5 off new egg with an old paypal account that had like $10 its still on step one so I have to wait and see if it works lol :D but hopefully I can get watercooling soon enough...:p

Prime95 is normally the norm for testing overclock stability. However you have to set it up to run 2 instances 1 for each core. You would need to create 2 desktop shortcuts. Then label the first one Prime95-1 and the second Prime95-2. After you do that you would need to right click the shortcut go to properties under the target add this in. In Prime95-1 at the end of the target line after Prime95.EXE" put one space then type -A0 thats a zero then in Prime95-2 at the end of the target line put a space then -A1 Then you need to open each prime go to advanced affinity and target prime95-1 to run on cpu0 then on prime95-2 go advanced affinity uncheck and target at cpu1. Then you need to go to Prime95-1 go to the options and click on the torture test. After you click this you need to select blend mode. Check your available memory say you have 2gbs with 1.5gbs free you need to divide this number in half sense you will be running 2 tests one for each core. So half would be 750 megs on Prime95-1 then 750 megs on Prime95-2. I always allow a bit of leeway though so I knock of 50megs so I run 700 megs on each core leaving me 100megs of ram free so I don't have to access the page file.

This is the only way to truly use both cores at 100%

An easier option is this! I use Sandra a excellent tester. This test way more than your cpu you can test your memory bandwith and all kinds of other things. It includes a burn test which will tax your cpu 100% and you can even pre program it to shutdown if your cpu or board goes over a stated temp. Heres a download link for it. If you want to run a extended test you can specifiy how many hrs you want it to run.

Just scroll down to were you see primary download site. It will then redirect you to the download.
http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=75

Back
Top Bottom