Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
Beta Member
Question The Best Ultrabook Tablet Available?...

I have been doing a lot of research on convertible ultrabook/tablets for college and I have narrowed it down to a select few.

My goals with this are school work (note taking and document writing), graphic/video editing work (CS6 & Sony Vegas), light gaming (DayZ Standalone, Goat Simulator, Source Engine Games, [graphical quality is not a priority]), steam in-home streaming, and light media usage such as netflix and youtube.

A decent processor, dedicated graphics, and SSD would be the three big hardware priorities for me. An on-par battery life would be preferred. I'm prepared to pull out the stops and maybe even under-volt at when I need to get more out of it.

I have a budget of $1000-1600 and whatever I get I want to have tablet-like functionality as well as laptop functionality. My priority, however, is a stable laptop system, more so than a proficient tablet system. Also, a nicely sized screen would be a preference of mine. At least 13" would be the best. Having a digitizer would be a great addition as well.

The best options that I have found (In order of how much they represent what I want):

-Sony Vaio Flip 15 (Specs: Intel i7-4500u@1.8ghz, Nvidia Gt735m w/ Optimus, 8gb RAM); It includes a 1tb hybrid HDD, but I would replace that with an SSD. Also the memory can be upgraded to 16gb; 15.5" screen w/ digitizer (I prefer this screen because of its size and it's not so hi-res that fonts get too small)
Total price (unit+SSD): ~$1600

-Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (Specs: Intel i7-4500u@1.8ghz, Intel 4400 (big downside), 8gb RAM, 256gb SSD) Has a poor wifi adapter that I would replace with a better 5ghz one for $30; Non upgradable-memory is soldered in; 13.3" screen; no digitizer; 10-point touch; resolution is crazy-high but font sizes are small, also reports of discoloration of yellow, which would be important for graphic design.
Total Price(unit+wifi adapter): ~$1230

-I also looked at Samsung ATIV, Asus Transformer, HP, and other convertible laptops but none had the semi-powerful hardware that I was after.

No other convertibles that I have found even compare to these. I find myself more in favor of the Vaio, but I wanted to post here and see if there are any other models that are better than it that meet my specifications.

If you have any other convertible laptop/tablets with better specs and dedicated graphics then please give me a heads up. I plan on making a move soon so please reply soon.

Cheeseiron is offline   Reply With Quote

buy, convertible, laptop, ssd, tablet