Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 758
Default Best remote access ?

I need some suggestions on best & most secured method to access main pc from laptop when outside of office. Years ago I used PC Anywhere but somebody else I know in same situation uses the REMOTE DESKTOP ACCESS feature that comes with windows. There may however be other software's or ways I do not know. What is the best and most secure way of doing this? Any and all comments welcome.
__________________

bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:23 PM   #2
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Best remote access ?

There's a web-browser way you can do this. LogMeIn.com.
__________________

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: Best remote access ?

I use realVNC to access my server remotely.
It can work over LAN and WAN so it's nice. Just need to do the whole open ports and any firewall crud. Other than that it's great. Allows you full control as if you were right at the computer.
Requires password for security.
vampist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Best remote access ?

remote desktop access i believe can only be done over a LAN or WAN not internet.

would suggest logmein.com
__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Best remote access ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
remote desktop access i believe can only be done over a LAN or WAN not internet.

would suggest logmein.com
You can use realVNC to access a pc anywhere in the world, all you need is the ip address. And it's free to boot.

Like Vampist said, it gives you control of the pc just as if you were sitting right in front of it, I use it as well to access my server, it's a very handy program to use on something like a server that you just have a computer hooked up with no monitor. You can set the vnc server to start when the pc starts so it'll be on all the time, then on the vnc viewer, all you have to do is select the ip address from a dropdown list (you have ti type them in first) and click "ok" and you're there.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Fully Optimized
 
ssc456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,279
Send a message via MSN to ssc456
Default Re: Best remote access ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
You can use realVNC to access a pc anywhere in the world, all you need is the ip address. And it's free to boot.

Like Vampist said, it gives you control of the pc just as if you were sitting right in front of it, I use it as well to access my server, it's a very handy program to use on something like a server that you just have a computer hooked up with no monitor. You can set the vnc server to start when the pc starts so it'll be on all the time, then on the vnc viewer, all you have to do is select the ip address from a dropdown list (you have ti type them in first) and click "ok" and you're there.
remote desktop access is only local not over the internet as remote desktop access is the built in windows application.
__________________
He who has never failed has never attempted anything worth succeeding at.

Dont Eat Animals, Its Not Good For Them And They Dont Like It!
ssc456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:51 AM   #7
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Best remote access ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssc456 View Post
remote desktop access is only local not over the internet as remote desktop access is the built in windows application.
I'm not talking about remote desktop access, I'm talking about vnc, I know you can do it outside a local network because I've done it before, accessed a pc from hundreds of miles away using vnc
__________________

__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0