BEST PCI Graphics Card

PerfectSK

Daemon Poster
Hey does anyone kno what the best pci graphics card is?? I've been doin some research and the best ones I came across are the Ati Radeon 9250 and the nVidia GeForce fx 5500. Do any of them truly support Direct x 9.0? I've read reviews of the radeon 9250 being able to handle doom 3 and half life 2, so is does it support 9.0? Or is it some kind of driver update that lets it support 9.0 lol, cuz the hardware is def 8.1. Anyways, any posts will be greatly appreciated.

the FX 5500 does support direct X 9.0..but not very well... I don't know about the 9250, though. those video cards will put up poor performance in doom3 or half-life2, and the FX 5500 will put up HORRIBLE performance in Direct X 9.0, so bad that valve coded the source engine to automatically roll back to Direct X 8.1 with that card.

I suggust you get an AGP video card over a PCI, and if your motherboard doesn't have AGP or PCI-E, I suggest you get a whole new computer all together.

PCI is so useless for VGA..

lol damn, all i have it seems is a pci slot. can anyone suggest what might be a good card then?... i read reviews for the ati radeon 9250 tho saying that ppl played doom 3 on medium settings without any kind of problems, slow speed or anything. i would try to go agp if i could but i cant just get a new computer. this one is actually pretty new, like maybe a year old. i thought it had pci-x before it was bought for me so ...

also i wanted to know why do some games like CoD 2 say they support geforce fx family if they cant run the game that great?

also i had one last question, i have lotr : return of the king for pc but it keeps giving me some error message about direct 3d, even i used the direct x diagnostic tool and it had direct 3d acceleration enabled. i currently have intel intergrated 900 for a video card. i dont see how updating the drivers could help, since its an old game and my video card has drivers way after the release of the game. or is it because the game only supports ati and nvidia chipsets and since my comp is new it doesnt recognize the new intel chipset? does anyone know if its possible to play lotr with this intel intergrated solution? any and all posts will be helpful. thank u!!

yes, you already have a thread...no need to create another one,
...but anyway I think you should go with the 5500

I couldn't really say which would be better, Radeon 9250 or the Geforce 5500. But I'd go with the best one if these are the only ones available that are the highest.

You'll find PCI cards are more expensive too for some reason :s

You might find if you are careful, and aren't too pushy with the res's, you might be able to just about make games playable.

By that, I mean having the res at 640x480-800x600, and having detail settings to Low/Medium on games.

Luckily though, you'll find alot of games, for instance Half Life 2, are more demanding on CPU than on the graphics.

Guys thanks a lot for your input. Im sorry about making a couple of threads about the same topic but like one person responded and I thought more ppl would write back if it was at the beginning. I'm prolly gonna go with the radeon 9250, but if I could i would just upgrade my mobo to a pci express, but I think I'd have to get a new case cuz the emachines t5026 case is a lil small. Anyways thanks and this will be my last post about this topic. Sorry if i got anyone mad.

i have a 9250 256mb and it runs F.E.A.R. doom 3, half life 2, nfs most wanted, far cry and all the other new games. but it also depends on all the other system specs

Back
Top Bottom