Best overclocking motherboard and ram?

I'm just going to bump this to keep you guys updated. I spoke with the computer tech troubleshooting my system and the finally got to start taking a look at it. The motherboard is for sure dead. So thats going to get replaced for sure.

They didn't have a board that supported all my other hardware so they had to order one to test the rest of my components. That is supposed to be in tommorow so i'll know if I need anything else.

Basically I want to get at least a 1Ghz overclock. I'll be happy with 3.4-3.7Ghz.

Quick question about my current ram in my sig. Will it work alright with all the boards you guys have mentioned? I know if its fried its got a lifetime warranty so i'll send it back. I think pretty much all of my stuff is warrantied so its no biggy I just wasn't very happy with my board.

Also one other question with knowing the board is bad whats the likely hood it fried other components like my GPU,Ram,Soundcard,Modem etc?

Ownage wrote:

Anyway, the only motherboard that provides independent FSB and memory overclocking the RD600 which only DFI provides. However, the 680i comes close to independent by using weird dividers such as 9:16. No other chipset will provide unlinked overclocking.

Thats actually not true. My p5n32 can. If I want to overclock the ram without increasing or decreasing the FSB I can. And if I want to increase the FSB without changing the ram I can.

check cpu-z and then tell me what it says.

How the motherboard is dead? LOL

Here is what the manual says though System Clock Mode (Auto)
Set this item to (Auto) to let the system set the current FSB/memory frequency automaticaly. Choose *CPU Precision Tweaker) to set the FSB frequency at 1 MHz increment; the memory frequency adjust accordingly. Choose (CPU/MEM manual-mode) to change the CPU and memory frequencies. Choose (MEM Precision tweaker) to set the memory frequency at 1 MHz increment; the FSB frequency adjust accordingly. Configuration options (auto),(CPU precision Tweaker), (CPU/MEM manual-mode), (MEM Precision Tweaker)

I guess Asus calls it CPU/MEM manual-mode to set them individually. Thats the mode I used when overclocking that system board.

Just out of curiousty I logged into my photobucket account to see if I still had any CPU Z screenshots. I found this one but i'm guessing you wanted the screenshot of the motherboard/memory right?

Loadedwithtemp.jpg

yeah. As far as I know, the 650i and 680i memory dividers are similar. Both using non-standard ratios. Here's an example:
d680lt13101mif8.png

That is nVidia's definition of "unlinked" FSB to RAM ratios.

Personally, I would stay away from the striker extreme. It is super picky about RAM, even with the latest BIOS (as of 2 weeks ago, don't know about now).

Ownage, could that weird ratio simply be CPU-Z calculating it somehow to get those numbers? Or does the DFI board CPU-Z say "Unlinked" in the ratio area?

celegorm, for the DFI RD600 board, it says Asynch instead of the ratio if you decide to go that route. Otherwise it will display the ratio if it is synchronized, the FSB and RAM speed that is.

Well I just got off the phone with the tech again. They got the test board in to see if anything else is wrong. It looks that 1 of my sticks of ram is bad so he's going to try putting the good stick back in my asus board and see if it will post that way. I just assumed he tried some ram from there shop so maybe my board isn't really dead. About another hr wait till I get to hear the final verdict.

If for some reason the board is good i'll post up a mainboard pic for ya ownage. At least everything else in the system is good I wouldn't be very happy if that new 8800gts got burnt up too.

Back
Top Bottom