best mobo in your opinion

convergecult

In Runtime
so im in the market for a new motherboard since mine is sparking and messing my stuff up, however it seems like a lt of the higher end amd boards are geared towards crossfire and i have never been a big fan of ati so what is a good choice for an amd board that is more sli and nvidia? ive looked at a few but just wanted to get some opinions from people who have used one, budget is no more than 200 and id rather have sata 6 ect...

Newegg.com - ASUS M4N98TD EVO AM3 NVIDIA nForce 980a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

If you want SATA 6 and USB 3 it won't work though. 980a, which is just a rebadged 780a, are the only chipsets Nvidia make for AM3, and they are the last they will be making. Nvidia have stated that they aren't making any more chipsets, and as they haven't allowed AMD to use their SLI technology (which AMD probably wouldn't want anyway, as it would be an incentive for AMD users not to get AMD cards), you won't get any boards with supports for SLI and for the latest technologies.

There is, however, a way to get SLI on AMD boards that only support crossfire:

HOWTO: SLI on a non-SLI Motherboard (GTX5xx compatible 1.0 final released!) - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

it tricks the computer into thinking that you have an x58 chipset instead of your AMD one, which allows you to use SLI by a software hack. It is completely legit too, as it does not use code from either manufacturer or alter drivers, it simply tricks your OS

thanks, that explained a lot. i did not know that about nvidia, guess i will have to make the switch

so would i need to switch back to intel to get nvidia?

Back
Top Bottom