Best memory to buy?

danbeherenow

Solid State Member
Hi just wondered what the most effective or fast memory to buy is..

I've found out my motherboard supports DDR400 "www.orcacomputers.co.nz/motherboard.htm+k78sx+supports+memory&hl=en"

As im a newb at installing hardware such as memory i just wondered which i should go for, I use 1 stick of 512mb @ PC2700 so far and i have 2 slots left

Thanks for viewing.

Danbhn

DDR400 ram I'm pretty sure is PC3200 :)

If you got two more for example at 256mb each to make another 512mb of RAM or 2x 512mb to make 1024Mb, they'd be slowed down by your 2700 speed RAM since it'd make the rest run to the slowest available if you got the highest your motherboard would support, PC3200.

If you were to get 3200 speed RAM, the only way to make it a good option would be to get rid of your 2700 speed RAM for two sticks of 512Mb 3200 speed RAM instead to make up for it, and to make 1024mb which would be a worthy option :)

I use Geil RAM which is a rather good make. Other good makes are Ballistix which I've heard of from this forum (Think there expensive though), Crucial are okay, and erm... I'll have to get back to you on the rest :p

Cool mate, thanks for the reply do you think 2x512mb 3200 would run along side one stick of 2700 (512mb) or would it still slow down..

Cheers for the reply :D

I beleive it would slow it down. Computers run the speed of the slower ram in the system. Why not just run with that. 1G should be fine, and you should get better performace over all than with having that slower RAM in there.

As for brands, I heard Geil was good, of course this is after I get my Corsair, but so far I'm pleased with it ;P

Ah yea, Corsair is good too :D

As for the RAM, like The_Other_One said, just buy another 512mb of speed 2700 RAM then if you don't want to replace this with faster speed RAM too.
To tell the truth, you probably wouldn't notice that much of a difference with normal tasks anyway unless you ran alot of memory intensive programs:)

:D okay then mate ill probably go about buyin two sticks of 3200 512mb memory.. Do you know anywhere thats cheap or cheaper to buy it?

cheers again
Danbhn

Are you sure?
You probably wouldn't notice a difference if you got another 512mb of 2700 speed ram, but it would be good to go to the best your motherboard can handle, knowing your pushing it to the extreme of its capabilities, so yeah if you can afford 2 sticks of 512 DDR PC3200, go for it :)
You could then probably sell the speed 2700 RAM since 512mb is quite alot just to throw away...

if you live in the UK, I would go for MicroDirect for its great prices, and delivery speeds. I just could'nt beat it and I trust them :D

www.microdirect.com

If you don't then I wouldn't know I'm afraid

No idea, I know that this is way too fast for his system being DDR400 speed = PC3200...

Ballistix is a great make though and 4000 is fast! I'd assume you'd be able to overlclock with it quite well - To 99Nasha

Back
Top Bottom