Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-24-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
Gun
Baseband Member
 
Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Default Best Laptop within My Budget?

Hello Everyone,

Basically I want a good laptop to do several things on, including playing games, I mainly play Minecraft. I already have a decent gaming desktop, but I want a laptop for the portability. What do you guys recommend?

I'm looking to spend as little as possible, under $1000. Even under $900, $800 or $700 would be good if it's second-hand. I don't mind buying from a good eBay seller. If you do infact find a good eBay listing then I'd rather you PM me the link so other people can't get in first! I'm located in Australia so I only really want to buy inside of my country. I've been mainly looking at Asus, what other brands should I be looking at?

Cheers!
__________________

Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,532
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

Are you keen on Acer, Dicksmith has this one with dedicated graphics which will be good as minecraft doesn't always play well with intel integrated graphics Buy ACER V5-571PG Touch W8 Notebook | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping Or this one from Asus Buy ASUS F550CC-X0068H 15.6" Windows 8 Notebook. | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping
__________________

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Gun
Baseband Member
 
Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
Are you keen on Acer, Dicksmith has this one with dedicated graphics which will be good as minecraft doesn't always play well with intel integrated graphics Buy ACER V5-571PG Touch W8 Notebook | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping Or this one from Asus Buy ASUS F550CC-X0068H 15.6" Windows 8 Notebook. | Read Reviews | Dick Smith Online Shopping
Thanks for the great recommendations!

Both laptops look very good for the price. Is the Acer touch-screen? If so, would having the touch-screen be bad for me in anyway when I'm gaming?
Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,532
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
Thanks for the great recommendations!

Both laptops look very good for the price. Is the Acer touch-screen? If so, would having the touch-screen be bad for me in anyway when I'm gaming?
The Acer is touchscreen and the Asus isn't. Depends on the types of games you'll be playing and whether they are designed for touchscreen gameplay but I'd go with Asus over the Acer if you don't want touchscreen.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Gun
Baseband Member
 
Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
The Acer is touchscreen and the Asus isn't. Depends on the types of games you'll be playing and whether they are designed for touchscreen gameplay but I'd go with Asus over the Acer if you don't want touchscreen.
Oh okay. Yes I'm sure the Asus is better, but I might go with the Acer because it is cheaper, and it has 8GB RAM. Is the graphics card in the Asus that much better than that in the Acer?

I'm now deciding whether I want to get a laptop of this price-range or save up for something slightly over 1,000. Not sure what do you.
Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #6
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,532
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

The Acer has a 2GB Nvidia GeForce 710M whereas the Asus has the same size but the 720M so the Asus is slightly better but not much difference.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Gun
Baseband Member
 
Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
The Acer has a 2GB Nvidia GeForce 710M whereas the Asus has the same size but the 720M so the Asus is slightly better but not much difference.
Okay thanks! Would the 710M be considered a low-end laptop graphics card? Or mid? or high? :P

Anyone else have some recommendations?
Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,532
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

They are both entry level graphic cards but will be enough for games like minecraft.
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #9
Gun
Baseband Member
 
Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 24
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK_123 View Post
They are both entry level graphic cards but will be enough for games like minecraft.
Okay, great

Anyone else have any recommendations?
Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,532
Default Re: Best Laptop within My Budget?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun View Post
Okay, great

Anyone else have any recommendations?
Also if you not keen on the idea of Wjndows 8 (I love it ) you can install Windows 7.
__________________

BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0