Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
Default Best Laptop CPU

hello all! i am thinking about buying a new laptop and was wondering what are the best cpus for it. last time i checked i thought the centrino cpu was the best for a laptop. i dont want no big core 2 duo thinger that sucks the battery and chucks out a load of heat in return i want a proper laptop cpu designed for the job. so was wondering has much changed? i know there is the centrino dual core but what about this atom cpu i see and also how is amd with laptop cpus these days?

Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Fully Optimized
Default Re: Best Laptop CPU

What exactly will you be doing with your computer? Centrino is just an "instruction set?" for Intel CPU's to be able to use wireless, I think. I know it has something to do with wireless internet. Core 2 Duo CPU's consume less power than the older chips. You wouldn't see a huge difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo power consumption wise. But you will performance wise.

Macook 13.3

2.13Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-2GB DDR2 800 Mhz-500GB Western Digital Caviar Blue- Nvidia 9400M
rohan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:17 AM   #3
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Best Laptop CPU

Actually, Centrino is a specific Intel chipset. The CPU in it WAS a core 2 duo, until this year.

The absolute best laptop CPU right now is the Intel Core i7. The Centrino platform currently uses it.

Also, all laptop processors are designed for the job. The core 2 duo in a desktop is very different from the one in a laptop. Same for the i7. My laptop has an older('07, Merom) Core 2 duo, and I can get 5-6 hours of life out of it.

Believe it or not, how big/bright your screen is and what sort of wireless stuff is turned on can have a bigger impact on your battery life than your CPU.
Athlon II 635--CM Hyper 212+ ║ GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 ║ Powercolor HD5770 ║ 2x2GB G-Skill Ripjaws Blue ║ Antec Truepower New 550W ║ NZXT M59 ║ Win7 Pro 64-bit ║ Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Mutant Corn is offline   Reply With Quote