Best CPU GPU Chipset combo?

Russel1

Daemon Poster
I am wondering what would be the best combination of processor, CPU chipset and GPU for a computer enthusiast? That would mean that you would want good pricing and performance as well as being optimal for overclocking. I am not so much interested in specific parts as I am in overall configuration. I have one AMD processor with SLI and another with an Intel processor and crossfire. That got me wondering what is the most common, and what would be the do it yourself computer builders best combination.

I am interested in everyone's view. It may be that there is no "best" combination.

I'd say with AMD, the Phenom II AM3 processors combined with an AMD 790 chipset based mobo. Intel you could go the Core 2 Duo/Quad with an Intel P45 based motherboard or the Core i7/X58 combo. The GPU is up for grabs as both Nvidia and ATI based cards work equally well on both AMD and Intel setups.

The GPU is up for grabs as both Nvidia and ATI based cards work equally well on both AMD and Intel setups.

Huh, that's interesting and is really the biggest part of the question. I guess if both AMD and Nvidia GPUs work equally well with the appropriate chipset then it's back to the old GPU debate.

anything wanting you to suggest this? starting a new computer build on the drawing board? If ur looking for a good GPU, id wait till the next gen comes along, atleast that is what i am doing.

Actually, I'm just finishing a second build. I have a Intel with crossfire and an AMD with SLI, that just got me wondering about all the combinations and what might be the most favorable.

I'd say with AMD, the Phenom II AM3 processors combined with an AMD 790 chipset based mobo.

The AMD 790 chipset would be crossfire.

OK, that makes sense. I hadn't built anything in a while, so when I decided to build something new I figured Intel processor with an Intel chipset was a sure bet as far as stability. I have since learned how much more economical AMD can be considering the performance. (I was strictly AMD years ago for the same reason) So, for economy, performance, and versatility (overclocking) an AMD processor with an AMD chipset and an AMD GPU would seem to be favorable. It would also make sense that stability should be solid with all the major chips produced by the same company.

Back
Top Bottom