Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default Best CPU GPU Chipset combo?

I am wondering what would be the best combination of processor, CPU chipset and GPU for a computer enthusiast? That would mean that you would want good pricing and performance as well as being optimal for overclocking. I am not so much interested in specific parts as I am in overall configuration. I have one AMD processor with SLI and another with an Intel processor and crossfire. That got me wondering what is the most common, and what would be the do it yourself computer builders best combination.

I am interested in everyone's view. It may be that there is no "best" combination.

Russel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Omnipotent One

Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Best CPU GPU Chipset combo?

I'd say with AMD, the Phenom II AM3 processors combined with an AMD 790 chipset based mobo. Intel you could go the Core 2 Duo/Quad with an Intel P45 based motherboard or the Core i7/X58 combo. The GPU is up for grabs as both Nvidia and ATI based cards work equally well on both AMD and Intel setups.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
The GPU is up for grabs as both Nvidia and ATI based cards work equally well on both AMD and Intel setups.
Huh, that's interesting and is really the biggest part of the question. I guess if both AMD and Nvidia GPUs work equally well with the appropriate chipset then it's back to the old GPU debate.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Golden Master

anything wanting you to suggest this? starting a new computer build on the drawing board? If ur looking for a good GPU, id wait till the next gen comes along, atleast that is what i am doing.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Actually, I'm just finishing a second build. I have a Intel with crossfire and an AMD with SLI, that just got me wondering about all the combinations and what might be the most favorable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I'd say with AMD, the Phenom II AM3 processors combined with an AMD 790 chipset based mobo.
The AMD 790 chipset would be crossfire.

OK, that makes sense. I hadn't built anything in a while, so when I decided to build something new I figured Intel processor with an Intel chipset was a sure bet as far as stability. I have since learned how much more economical AMD can be considering the performance. (I was strictly AMD years ago for the same reason) So, for economy, performance, and versatility (overclocking) an AMD processor with an AMD chipset and an AMD GPU would seem to be favorable. It would also make sense that stability should be solid with all the major chips produced by the same company.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

I am going with a 955 myself, for similar reasons.

j03 is offline   Reply With Quote