Best Computers for Video Editing Without Breaking the Bank

jman5610

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone!

I am looking to get into digital film editing this year and was wondering if you all could offer some insight into this.

I was thinking about getting a MacBook for the sheer fact that I'd be able to use FinalCut Pro X. However, I'm not really in the MacBook price spending range right now and I'd like to go with something perhaps a little cheaper. That being said, what are some decent computers and/or specs I should look for when making a purchase? In terms of software, I've heard Adobe makes pretty decent film-editing packages.

I'm not looking to do anything extremely professional, at least at the moment, but I would like to have the capability of creating close to professional peices for family and friends. Any suggestions as far as either OEM's, specs and software would be greatly appreciated! It doesn't necesarily have to be a Laptop....

Thanks So Much!

I was thinking of a dell laptop..

My reason, dells are great and strongly designed now.. they have a really good solid design, water proof keyboards and a wide range of choice.. a system pc would be alot stronger due to holding more ram , which in video editing is really important so it kind of takes the laptop away..

I'm pointing you in the right direction rather then build a system for you.. I'd go to a close friend or someone you know who builds systems.. or if you think you can give it a shot.. but i'm only giving you my advice into which direction you go.. it's a nice feeling having a laptop and being able to sit and relax in the lounge while video editing or just browsing..

This doesn't mean don't get a laptop but just puts you in a mind of .. really what do you want..

Anyway I'll let you give more input on what you really want, a system or a laptop, then i'll happily or the site members/team will point you to the correct system.

Thanks for registering and coming to the best place for advice!

Okay thanks!

I was thinking a tower at first just for the sheer fact of being able to interchange components easier but now that you mention it, I think the conveience of a laptop would be more suitable (until I go to Hollywood... hey we can all dream!). I'd like to eventually build a PC of my own but don't really have the time or resources at the moment...

I was wondering what the most important features in terms of video editing were when it comes to purchasing a new OEM laptop. I figure you can always add an external HD or add RAM so HD size/RAM don't seem like they should be absolute make or break factors in the decision.

I'm guesing a dedicated video card and an i7 processor (or i5 at min.) would be good starting points. Screen resolution also seems like a big factor, my laptop right now cannot go beyond 1366 x 768 which drives me absolutely CRAZY!

Are there any DELL models in particular you think are a good bang for your buck?

Thanks for your help, this forum is so helpful!!

How much are you willing to spend?

I'll be back in 15mins, I'll happily point you to an awsome laptop and get some good reviews for you to read so you're happy with the results :)

I'd like to stick under $1,000 but realize that you probably have to spend at least 6 or 7 hundred these days to get anything halfway decent...

I agree that you should get a Dell. One with 8 gb of ram, and a good video card. A cheaper dell will be fine, so long as you get it with the things I mentioned. The speed of the main CPU isn't as important as the RAM and the GPU (graphics card). At least for your purposes.

I agree that you should get a Dell. One with 8 gb of ram, and a good video card. A cheaper dell will be fine, so long as you get it with the things I mentioned. The speed of the main CPU isn't as important as the RAM and the GPU (graphics card). At least for your purposes.

Really? I would have thought the CPU would be more important in an editing package, unless the GPU has mostly taken over now with the likes of CUDA, etc? :whistling:

Really? I would have thought the CPU would be more important in an editing package, unless the GPU has mostly taken over now with the likes of CUDA, etc? :whistling:

At least get an i5 like you said, but the i7 isn't going be a significant benefit.

Back
Top Bottom