Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-26-2005, 10:33 PM   #11
Golden Master

Default Re: best buy's seagate 120 GB hard drive

I saw a 250GB at like $100 for an ATA/133 from WD...I think I'll go with this soon...

lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #12
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicrocker7
i just bought a 200GB harddrive from staples it was a early bird speacial and i only paid 30 for it
and its a ATA/133 its made by maxtor so im pretty happy with it
nice! the stock hard drive in my dell is a maxtor 20 GB

also, in the instructions it recommends replacing the cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard; i forgot to do that, although I have the cable. they recommend doing so because some cables can't handle the speed of the new hard drive or something like that if..if its already working, that means i dont need to replace it right?

thanks.

here_is_gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:05 AM   #13
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

ATA/100 is pretty good considering you paid $30 for it. Becides, it's still good technology that works well, even if Serial ATA is slowly phasing it out.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #14
In Runtime

what do ATA/100 and ATA/133 refer to?

and one other question; how do external USB hard drives compare with internal hard drives in speed?
Old 11-27-2005, 12:35 AM   #15
Golden Master

They are the speed at which data are transferred. ATA100 means it's suppose to transfer data @ 100MB/s (theoritically), but you're in fact transferring at around 50 MB/Sec. Even if you buy an ATA100 or 133 controller card, you might want to know that the PCI bus itself only handles about 100 MB/s and there is lots of other data flowing through it. So 133 means nothing there.

As for the internal/external USB drives, I look at it like this. Anything inside is directly attached to the motherboard for maximum speeds. WIth an external drive, you have a cable you have to plug into. There may be some delay or latency there, but not significant. You'll probably never feel the difference in speed anyways. I would prefer the internal hard drive, but there are cases in which external hard drives are super neat to have. I love to get one for portability.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:37 AM   #16
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to alvino

ATA/100/133 is bascially IDE.

Internal hard drives are way faster than USB or FireWire. Only use an external HDD for storage, archives or back-ups etc.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:44 AM   #17
Golden Master

100 = 100mhz

133= 133mhz
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:35 AM   #18
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
They are the speed at which data are transferred. ATA100 means it's suppose to transfer data @ 100MB/s (theoritically), but you're in fact transferring at around 50 MB/Sec. Even if you buy an ATA100 or 133 controller card, you might want to know that the PCI bus itself only handles about 100 MB/s and there is lots of other data flowing through it. So 133 means nothing there.

As for the internal/external USB drives, I look at it like this. Anything inside is directly attached to the motherboard for maximum speeds. WIth an external drive, you have a cable you have to plug into. There may be some delay or latency there, but not significant. You'll probably never feel the difference in speed anyways. I would prefer the internal hard drive, but there are cases in which external hard drives are super neat to have. I love to get one for portability.

So an ATA/133 can theoretically transfer data at 133 mbps?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:38 AM   #19
Golden Master

Yeah, the drive was made for it, but other factors play a role in it too like the OS itself, and if you have a PCI controller.
Old 11-27-2005, 09:06 AM   #20
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCorolla
Yeah, the drive was made for it, but other factors play a role in it too like the OS itself, and if you have a PCI controller.
Ah, i see. Thanks. The original Maxtor 20 GB that's the boot drive in my Dell is probably an ATA/100 as well, right? I bought the dell about 3 or 4 years ago.