microsoft frontpage 2003 pro
Mozilla Firefox 1.0PR
Photoshop 7.0
Fellowes CD labelmaker software
Outlook 2003
MSN messenger 6.2
2 or 3 explorer windows
and sometimes Fireworks MX 2004 too and Roxio CD creator 6

and not too mention only 256MB of system RAM non overclocking only @ 200Mhz due to my MotherBoards limitations

all open at the same time using them equally with none idle for more that 10 mins at a time with my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ at an ACCEPTABLE speed with only max 3 secs of latency between apps is very very excellent!!! I tried the same on an intel HT @ 3.2 Ghz with 512 megs/ram and it struggled and lots of the time made too much heat and shut the pc down or BIOS beep warning. that was tested on a custom machine with a "extreme" cooler!

Intel's major problem is the overheating. thier cores arent designed properly. not enough dissipation and even spread.

and also the HT technology isnt perfected and it is often buggy and results in way higher latency then without HT technology enabled.

and even wothout HT Intels still struggle with everyday apps. and games often slow to a crawl at ABS MAX setting on games no matter hoe good the graphics card is.

Dell_ate_my_dog said:
look, for me multitasking with the following apps open 90% of the time:

windows media player 10.0
bearshare 4.6.0
microsoft frontpage 2003 pro
Mozilla Firefox 1.0PR
Photoshop 7.0
Fellowes CD labelmaker software
Outlook 2003
MSN messenger 6.2
2 or 3 explorer windows
and sometimes Fireworks MX 2004 too and Roxio CD creator 6

and not too mention only 256MB of system RAM non overclocking only @ 200Mhz due to my MotherBoards limitations

all open at the same time using them equally with none idle for more that 10 mins at a time with my AMD Athlon XP 3200+ at an ACCEPTABLE speed with only max 3 secs of latency between apps is very very excellent!!! I tried the same on an intel HT @ 3.2 Ghz with 512 megs/ram and it struggled and lots of the time made too much heat and shut the pc down or BIOS beep warning. that was tested on a custom machine with a "extreme" cooler!

Intel's major problem is the overheating. thier cores arent designed properly. not enough dissipation and even spread.

and also the HT technology isnt perfected and it is often buggy and results in way higher latency then without HT technology enabled.

and even wothout HT Intels still struggle with everyday apps. and games often slow to a crawl at ABS MAX setting on games no matter hoe good the graphics card is.

The fact that you say yours runs well with 256Mb ram in says you've never seen a fast machine. If I had a 10Ghz AMD or Intel it would be fast with 256Mb in.

My P4 doesn't crash, and I mean that. It doesn't. I've NEVER been able to say that about any of my AMD's. As for "struggling with everday apps and slowing to a crawl on games"

My machine runs Doom 3 1280x1024 on Ultra settings @ 87Fps

Farcry runs on max settings @ 117.9Fps

NO AMD HAS BEATEN IT. What does your 256Mb peice of .... er er computer get?

It's an old benchmark I did, I've overclocked higher now but it will give you an idea. Bear in mind Aquamark is a gaming benchmark. For serious benchmarks go to www.custompc.co.uk , beat the office pc comp. Highest single processored AMD is around 70th fastest.

:D dont be a snob. AMD's do hecka lot better for the money and no heat! Simple as that. If you want that little bit extra and waste money get intel.

he he camers.

I have a fast system but not much ram!!! it was fine for running a game or a few apps. but now I run more apps as i get them and I outgrew the 256! so im getting a gig soon! then itll really flame and kick teh utter crap outta any intel ive had!!! ha ha!

camers said:
:D dont be a snob. AMD's do hecka lot better for the money and no heat! Simple as that. If you want that little bit extra and waste money get intel.

Most of my Folding machines are AMD's that have started to run REALLY HOT. My sister 2000+ is running @ 60c and failing, My mate Pauls 3200+ is @ 64c and starting to fail. I have done probably 20 or so in the last month that have suddenly raised their temps by 10c and began to fail.

My Intel is @ -57c where's all this heat your talking about. :D

dude.....those temps are kinda fake! A 2000+ wouldnt run hotter than 40. I dont know what kinda cramped cases/bad techniques you build with..but jeez (also, did you even update the bios??!)

camers said:
dude.....those temps are kinda fake! A 2000+ wouldnt run hotter than 40. I dont know what kinda cramped cases/bad techniques you build with..but jeez (also, did you even update the bios??!)

The temps have risen, not started at the temps mentioned. My sisters had been stable for 2 years maybe about 38c then over the last month it's around 58c, it's not the sensor and the machine is behaving strangely. I've been building machines longer than you have lived. I know when components are beginning to fail and allot of AMD's have started to go down. FACT.

If you can remember that far back when the AMD 2000+ was a good CPU. Airflow through cases wasn't an issue. Cases didn't come with fans at the front etc. So it's not that is it my little, inexperienced friend.

Man your a loser. Can imagine you being those bitchy tech support guys on the phone..anyway. And you have experience with celerons running that long compaired to athlons??? Well things such as thermal pads getting old/grease etc and her fan speeds getting worse etc.

tell me about it three systems adam was building at dell (HT P4's) were overheating so bad the cpu melted onto the heat sinks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom