bent cpu pin and hd clicking

Fanatic4Christ

Daemon Poster
i took out my cpu to clean off the thremal and apply new thermal and right when i took it out i noticed a freakin bent pin! i was like WTF haha so i grap a small small sharp screw driver and bend it back gently! wow has anyone had this problem before? my cpu was working fine with a bent pin though... and also when i started up my cpu it started makin a hd clicking noise which is from my storage hd and everytime it clicked it would make the cd drive read the disk, any idea on how to fix the click? because i cant unistall it since it will give me a butt load of blue screens asking for that drive sadly..... please help, thanks in advanced

Bent pins are common. I recently purchased a use CPU that wasn't packed securely and arrived with about a dozen bent pins. A little time spent straightening them up and I was good to go.

It definitely sounds like your hard drive is starting to fail. You can download a utility from the manufacturer's site to diagnose the drive. If it's still under warranty, you can send it in for a replacement.

no its okay i have my primary still but the secondary one is the clicking one, i think its just messin with me lol it only did it a little bit! well ill see what happens now haha but about the cpu, is that bad?

*edit* just saw your post, and i dont think its under warranty since i never registered it? but thanks atomic, i would give you more rep but it wont let me! haha

ive had a cpu with at least 20 bent pins, and it ran fine after straighting them.

motherboards dont take advantage of the full 64-bit RAM address space, the CPU might have more pins for it than the motherboard does, you might have lucked out and the pin that was bent was one of them :p

Hard drives don't need to be registered to qualify for a warranty. They usually have a limited warranty time between 3 and 5 years. The manufacturing date usually printed on the drive label.

I had problems with bent pins, but on my last one, which is a K6-2 500, the bent pint broke off...so I have a soldering job to do....and I don't fell like doing it over the holidays.

lol, that happens quite often that pins break. That's why Intel has the idea to do a land gid, but what amases me is that they didn't put pads instead of the pins on that socket.

Back
Top Bottom