Benefits of Media Center Edition

PCNoob2

Daemon Poster
I'm wondering what the difference is between media center and home edition is. media center may look a bit more fancy with the menu and everything but you can listen to music, view pictures, and watch dvds in home too.

and is it true that media edition uses more system resources than home?

thanks

Yes, because Media Centre is based on the Professional XP and not Home.

Plus, I believe you don't have to actually start Windows properly to view DVD's/Videos etc. So external players dont have to be used.
It also has easier access to TV tuner capabilities, etc.

I would only recommend Windows Media center if you have a tv tuner and watch tv on your computer frequently. I have it for that reason and I love it but for any other person without a tv tuner card I dont think it is necessarly worth it. Yeah the built in audio player, dvd player, picture viewer ect... are really nice but you can get stand alone programs for windows xp home/pro that work even better imo. For tv though it kicks ass.

I understand the benefit of the TV but I will never use my pc to watch tv so..

what does it mean when it says you can watch DVDs and listen to music? I can watch a dvd with vlcplayer for example and listen to music with winamp etc. Isn't it just the same as with media? Not having to start windows properly to watch dvds is something I would never do either.. seems like a waste of money:(

The Media Center actually doesn't use up too many resources. It's easy to use, intuitive and everything you have like TV tuners, your music, movies etc are all able to work under one interface. Very handy. Especially if you do have a HTPC.

Of course, I would only recommend Media Center Edition 2005 if you plan on building a HTPC or using your computer for those purposes. If not, get Windows XP Professional instead.

do you want to know the difference between media center and the others?
untitled-3.jpg

is that stupid dancing person you can allow to dance when music comes on. really cool :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom