Benchmark (or is it something else?)

Pat101

Solid State Member
Hello, today i went to a computer store and looked into upgrading my video card, i found out they would need to order it so i decided to look into a couple other things before i commit...

Does anyone know the name (or possibly a link? :]) of a program that tells you the specs of your computer? I;m talking about a hardware list, basically. The owner of the store told me there was some sort of benchmark program that told you this, but i looked around and all i could seem to find was 'stress test' stuff... is this what im looking for?

Any help would be great, because i need to find out exactly what kind of motherboard i have to see if i can properly utilize the new video card.

:)

Get programs such as SISaundra ( I think that is how you spell it) or Hardinfo 2003 which came free a while ago with PC authority computer magazine. SISaundra can benchmark your current system and compare your results with set templates of other systems. If you just want to test out your graphics card's grunt then I think you should use the 3D mark series by Futurmark. If you have the top of the line current generation card, like series 7 ones for Nvidia (like 7800 and 7900 being the flagship), then use 3D mark 2005, if you have a older card then use 3Dmark 2001 or 2003. Please note the results of each program is comparable. So if you got 7000 in 3D Mark 2001 and only 300 in the 2003, there is no bug or error. 3Dmark 2003 utilises advanced pixel shaders and other advanced functions that your graphics card might not support, hence the low score.
As for a graphics card upgrade, I suggest that you buy the medium range card of the latest generation, or the top of the range card of the last generation, this way you get more for you money. THe top of the range cards like ATi's X19000 XTX is way too pricey, you are better off getting the X19000XT and then overclocking because the only difference between the two is their clock speeds and that can be changed very easily. They both have the same pipelines and amount of pixel shaders.

Okay, here is my specs (i know this is kinda off topic now, but i didnt want to clutter up the forum with useless threads)

Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name BLAH
User Name John Doe

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)
Motherboard Name Asus P4P8X SE (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Springdale i865P
System Memory 1536 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type AMI (10/24/03)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9600 (RV350)
Monitor Sony SDM-S73 [17" LCD] (3608133)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3]

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y120P0 (120 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B (52x/32x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
Optical Drive UN1468F SRH012X SCSI CdRom Device
Optical Drive UN1468F SRH012X SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Network:
Network Adapter Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45 (192.168.0.100)

Here is my question: Will my computer be able to properly run the Ati Radeon X800 [series]?

Back
Top Bottom