before I install sp2

drumthrasher

Fully Optimized
Hi...I got a SP2 CD from Costco. I currently have WinXP Pro. I read the READMESP.HTM file from the cd, read it untill i got to BEfore you install. It says: Perform a full backup of the files that you keep on your computer.
For details about how to perform a full back up, see the topic, "Backing up files and folders," in Help and Support Center.

You can use the Backup and Restore Wizard to back up documents, pictures, and other files.

Important

Backing up your own files is different from archiving service pack files. Archiving files enables you to remove the service pack later if you want to, but does not back up personal files such as pictures or documents.

Is it just like dumping your computer of everything? Will my files I have on my computer now still be there?

I didn't pay a thing for sp2 i got my laptop in april 2004 and it wasn't out then it just updated automaticly and i didn't loose a thing.

It is not like reformatting your PC or anything like that if that's what you mean. Your files will still be intact. It is always a safe precaution to backup your data files for any major installation. Some of us take it for granted and don't do it. I've installed SP2 on a friends computer and nothing was lost. It just simply upgrade the OS to SP2, that's it. It did archive the old files because I chose to do that. It's nice to know you can revert back if SP2 doesn't work out.

Yeah, backing up is never a bad thing, as said by trd. Your files should be there and in perfect condition. But I would back up too.

no, to answer your question backing up your files is just to make sure you have them somehwere if you need to get ahold of them later. it's like keeping a safe copy the files will remain on your computer but you will have a copy somehwere else.

Sp2 Is Not Xp, Its Nothing Like A Software.

Its a full update to keep Windows Secure.

Nothing Much.

Edit:

Well 1st, do you know when something goes wrong with your computer and you have to send Microsft that info about whats gone wrong, Well Sp2 Helps You Stop the erros and it also keeps your files secure.

If your using a server or have a server, then best thing to do is Not Update to Sp2 until your fully aware that your files are Backed up.

Goodluck dude, hope it helps

Back
Top Bottom