Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-16-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Beep Codes

I know there is somehting wrong with my computer but no beep codes come out. I've even tried taking off the ram and i still didnt get any beep codes. I just got a new ASUS mbo, new ram and new Intel processor. I connected the front panel stereo wire to the motherboard. I'm getting really pissed. If i cant fix this problem this weekend im taking it to a computer shop. please help.

P.S. do i need speakers to hear beep codes?

www.avesta.ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Syn7ax 3rror Send a message via MSN to Syn7ax 3rror
Default Re: Beep Codes

Well, you didn't tell us the problem. Second, no. No speakers are needed for it to work. I recently had long BEEEEEEEEEEP(pause)BEEEEEEEEEEEEP. Technical support said I needed a new MOBO, but it was only my phone jack card :P.

Syn7ax 3rror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
Beta Member

Well i cant tell what the problem is because i cant hear the beep codes.
But i know there is a problem because the fans and everything turn on but nothing shows up on the monitor. And when i took out the ram there was no beep codes which shows that i cant hear the beep codes because if i dont have ram it gives beeps. So first i need to be able to hear the beep codes to be able to figure out the problem. I'm thinking that my front panel speaker wires are messed up. Thanks though.

P.S.

So the problem is that beep codes dont come out when i know they are seppouse to.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:03 AM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Syn7ax 3rror Send a message via MSN to Syn7ax 3rror

Well the MOBO must be fine, and the RAM. Is your GFX card in and conected corectly?
Syn7ax 3rror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
Beta Member

Nothings wrong with the GFX. My problem is not being able to hear beeps and beep codes from the front panel. I know a beep code is seppouse to be coming out but its not. Like i said previously, i took out all ram cards to se if i would get a beep code and i didnt. So i need to be able to fix that. I don't think too many people could help me on this one without seeing my computer, but maybe im overlooking something so plz post any ideas.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:03 AM   #6
Golden Master

Perhaps you have the speaker wire on backwards or in the wrong slot on the motherboard?
Old 04-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by www.avesta.ws
P.S. do i need speakers to hear beep codes?
I've had motherboards in the past that have routed PC beeps through to the onboard sound card, so speakers were required in those cases. Always worth a try i guess, after all it might point you in the right direction as to what is wrong.
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

There should be a little speaker inside your case where the beeps should come from. Check that they are connected properly on the motherboard and then try again.

They don't mean beeps from external sound speakers if thats what you mean.

Motherboards have simple sound chips to allow for beeps and sqelch sounds, for errors and sometimes old dos games if you have some.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:52 AM   #9
Wizard of Wires

Default Ahem...

Did you build this system yourself?

It's not really a speaker as we think of them. It's a piezo device and it's polarity sensitive. If it's in wrong it doesn't sound. Doesn't hurt it, it just don't work.
Look closely at the header on the motherboard where the leds and power buttons connect. There should be a plug on the pins marked spkr. If not this is why you don't hear the beeps. As for beeps being routed thru the sound card, The sound system is not booted up and non functional at the time the system is testing itself and reporting any problems using the beep codes.
Look for that piezo device. It's black, round like a pencil eraser, and is normally mounted to the inside front case wall next to the power buttons. If one is not present you can get them from just about any computer shop. Just tell them what board you have and that you need a motherboard speaker.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
Wizard of Wires

Default Oh man...

Hey Kage, I guess i need to type faster. LOL

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote