Battery life...

Rmp5s

In Runtime
If my new-ish (about a yr old) Dell Inspiron 1501 gets unplugged, it will only work for MAYBE 10-15 min then shut off with no warning. Why does it do this? It's incredibly frustrating when I'm in the middle of typing something or doing something moderately important and the plug comes out without me knowing resulting in the stupid thing shutting off all of a sudden.

Nothing catastrophic has ever happened to it that I know of. It's actually not my puter but my girlfriend's so I don't know for sure EVERYTHING that's happened to it but I'm sure nothing really crazy has happened to it.

So, more or less, I need a new battery? There's nothing else I can do about it?

Most people don't realize that if you work on your laptop all the time, and leave it plugged in, this will eventually damage the battery, and cause problems such as what you are experiencing. About the only choice you have now is to purchase a new battery. Keep in mind that you want to take out the battery if you plan on using the laptop plugged in for an extended period of time. You should only plug the laptop in when charging the battery- or if the battery is full, take out the battery while it is plugged in.

Most people don't realize that if you work on your laptop all the time, and leave it plugged in, this will eventually damage the battery, and cause problems such as what you are experiencing. About the only choice you have now is to purchase a new battery. Keep in mind that you want to take out the battery if you plan on using the laptop plugged in for an extended period of time. You should only plug the laptop in when charging the battery- or if the battery is full, take out the battery while it is plugged in.

WoW...never knew that!

basically, you nailed it right on. i was taught this by someone once before too, not even realizing it had anything to do with the battery.
Great piece of info Mate :)

*takes out laptop battery*

I knew that and usually did that on my laptops in the past. I'll let my girlfriend know.

Back
Top Bottom