Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Hardware
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-04-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Battery life...

If my new-ish (about a yr old) Dell Inspiron 1501 gets unplugged, it will only work for MAYBE 10-15 min then shut off with no warning. Why does it do this? It's incredibly frustrating when I'm in the middle of typing something or doing something moderately important and the plug comes out without me knowing resulting in the stupid thing shutting off all of a sudden.

Rmp5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Battery life...

You're battery is probably damaged. My brothers laptop does the same thing.

canucks63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks63 View Post
You're battery is probably damaged. My brothers laptop does the same thing.
I was going to say the same thing. Have you ever dropped it? Got water on it? If not it may just be a faulty battery.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
In Runtime

Nothing catastrophic has ever happened to it that I know of. It's actually not my puter but my girlfriend's so I don't know for sure EVERYTHING that's happened to it but I'm sure nothing really crazy has happened to it.

So, more or less, I need a new battery? There's nothing else I can do about it?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to pctechmike Send a message via MSN to pctechmike

Most people don't realize that if you work on your laptop all the time, and leave it plugged in, this will eventually damage the battery, and cause problems such as what you are experiencing. About the only choice you have now is to purchase a new battery. Keep in mind that you want to take out the battery if you plan on using the laptop plugged in for an extended period of time. You should only plug the laptop in when charging the battery- or if the battery is full, take out the battery while it is plugged in.
pctechmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctechmike View Post
Most people don't realize that if you work on your laptop all the time, and leave it plugged in, this will eventually damage the battery, and cause problems such as what you are experiencing. About the only choice you have now is to purchase a new battery. Keep in mind that you want to take out the battery if you plan on using the laptop plugged in for an extended period of time. You should only plug the laptop in when charging the battery- or if the battery is full, take out the battery while it is plugged in.
WoW...never knew that!
Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to LukaszR

Quote:
basically, you nailed it right on. i was taught this by someone once before too, not even realizing it had anything to do with the battery.
Great piece of info Mate

www.Cyber-Talk.ca League of Legends and Gaming Community
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

Quote:
*takes out laptop battery*
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 AM   #9
xxcobraxx

I work on my laptop all the time and its plugged in all the time and I've never had a battery problem.
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
In Runtime

I knew that and usually did that on my laptops in the past. I'll let my girlfriend know.