Bare Minimum Requirements For Xp Home? (not reccomended min, bare min)

Half Evil

Golden Master
Like it says, whats the bare min for xp. Can it run on 96mb ram. Whats the min for the processor. And video? Because I have some really REALLY old systems I want to run it on. Mainly because I can't get a copy of Windows 2000 (me), or Windows 98, or 98 Second Edition. I only have Xp home. But yeah. Whats the bare min. Later tonight, when I actually get the computers running, ill tell you the stats.

And I need it to run stably. Because I would like to make it into a firewall. So it has to run days on end. And be capable of a firewall, and various virus scans, and adaware scans.

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space

Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

CD-ROM or DVD drive

Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

Umm, not to be rude but I find such a simple question odd coming from someone with as many posts as you...

Not because you should know, but because you should know to use Google.

Type "Xp Minimum Requirements" in to google and there are pages of answers.

And By the way, I've ran XP on worse systems than what Burton posted. Ran like Crap and wasnt worth it.

Seti says> edit your sig down to 5 lines including blank lines.

David Ireland said:
Umm, not to be rude but I find such a simple question odd coming from someone with as many posts as you...

Lol.. Yeah.. I see where thats going. But what ever. I found the same things (almost) as the other guy. But i've heard from friends online running on as little as 16mb ram, and its been 'stable'. Cant run much but its worked for the firewall. Which is what i want to do. I searched google. And found nothing that low. So i came here.

I ran xp home sp1 on a P2 266mhz with 256 pc100 sdram. Ran fine till the HD pooped out.
Linux has a setup for doing just what you want and you can download it. I'll have to scan some old posts at well you know where to find it. Back in a bit.

Update>
Found it. This uses a linux setup to make a dedicated system in to a super firewall.

http://smoothwall.org/

http://smoothwall.org/get/

Thanks.. Ill have to check those out.:)

So thats not the linux live. Thats the linux that i need to puchase. Hmm.. well... are there any free downloads of any hard drive linux's that you know of..

Back
Top Bottom