Bad timing for Nehalem
Ack, this was the decision that stressed me a while ago and it's been brought to my attention once again. I'm so, so eager to buy a new R700 .. but I felt that I'd need to upgrade my CPU (in signature) and that means an upgrade in motherboard, effectively building a new system (buy new memory too as I'd sell the current computer). But is it really worth it? I mean, Nehalem is on its way .. but I SO want this new GPU (way too impatient).
I was thinking maybe I should install a minor upgrade until Nehalem is released .. perhaps the processor? There's nothing else that'd bottleneck the power, is there? Unfortunately the motherboard only supports up to a 5200+, which is so not cool.
What is the least expensive processor to buy that doesn't bottleneck this GPU? Or very very minimally.
Asus P5Q PRO | Intel Q6600, 3.40GHz | Core-Contact Freezer CPU cooler (36 idle) | (2x2)Gb Skillz DDR2 @ 978MHz | Radeon 4870 1Gb | Raptor 10K rpm 74Gb | Windows Vista x64 |