Bad PSU

BobbyDRZA

Baseband Member
I have a 480watt Thermaltake PSU and a few months back I tried to boot my desktop but nothing would happen and then I smelt a very strong smell, that of hot metal. There weren't any sparks or noise just the smell of hot metal. I unplugged the system from the wall and have not dealt with the system til today. Is it likely the PSU is gone for good and do you think it may have affected any components in my system. My HDD is the most important in which I have files I need. I am currently about to take a old 420watt unit fromt the basement to temporarily use.

The only way you're going to be able to tell if those components are any good is if you either take them out in another computer, or use a functional PSU. The Thermaltake should have protection for the components in case of over-voltage etc so they should be fine. Did you have the switch on 230V?

No I don't think it was on 230 because the unit doesn't have a back switch for that option and I have been running the system strong with this PSU since sometime in late 2004 without any problems til now. although I only smelled hot metal and didn't hear anything spark, is there a chance the PSU is still functional? I'm guessing most likely not though.

There is a way to test if the PSU is still functional. It involves a paperclip and the 24 pin connector. You have to put the ends of the hairpin in x and y.
X and Y=I don't know.
I'll have a look for where you're supposed to put the ends of the paperclip.

The X and Y worshipme stated is the green wire to any black wire on the 20 or 24 pin connector. I have done this before successfully with a paperclip.

easiest way to test the psu: Take it out, smell it. If it smells burnt then throw it out. And a lot of the time when the psu goes something else goes too, but the harddrive should be safe.

Back
Top Bottom