Bad HD luck.

bullzi

Fully Optimized
I've had some freakin bad luck lately. I had two 400gig black edition wd's on my server, both failed. Just yesterday I had a 160 go bad on my main setup and lost all my programs, game saves, etc. shitty luck lately. Anyway, I'm RMA'ing 5, yes 5, drives friday, getting ridiculous..

Have you guys noticed issues with harddrives lately? Seems like these newer drives are crap.

What brand/drive are you guys running?

Seagate is my #1 choice. I haven't had one go bad yet in my own use. At my place of work i see more WD's go bad than Seagates.

But all in all, I haven't seen a increase in deffective drives here...

I thought seagate was ftw too, in the past 4 months i've had two of their 160's go bad.. maybe their 160 is just ftl. :p

I forgot to mention, the first 160 i had was doa from the factory, complete mechanical failure. Hopefully these replacement drives last.

could be, do u happen to know if they were both from the same batch? if so, a bad batch is always a possibility.

Nope they weren't. The first HD was from an earlier batch, was DOA. That drive was made in China.

Second drives are from the same batch. Both are matching and were in RAID0 in my main system. One of them seems to have mechanically failed. That drive was made in either Malaysia or Taiwan, can't remember atm. Anyway, the second 160 of this batch is running great, ecc rates, seek error rates, etc. are all very low and this drive seems solid.

All in all, I've gone back to XP so I can install programs to monitor my S.M.A.R.T. stats while in xp. Once I get these RMA drives back I'll head back to RAID0.

My plan is to setup a RAID1 with the 400's in my server and have an automatic image created of the RAID0 so if this happens again I can simply reload it back on.

I did a RAID 1 for this purpose, but how the heck did 2 drives go at once for you? Power supply maybe?

had a WD, and it was fine till i dropped it. got a new one off RMA, and that stopped working after a few days for no reason, so had to send back that one aswell. the second drive was ok :)

i think my drive might be starting to go bad
im getting worried.... i think im ganna get some dvds and back up the entire drive

Back
Top Bottom