Back up needed?

Kage

Golden Master
I have just placed a 250GB drive from an old external hard drive caddy my dad was using for his laptop into my main PC with a 120GB drive fitted successfully. (Its a bit clicky though when reading data. Louder than my 120GB)

I plan to back up all the data I need now, just incase the worst happens, as its very unlikely that both hard drives would ever go at once...

I would ask you all to back up data as soon as possible.
In the past few weeks, alot of my dads mates and my mates have had something go wrong with their hard drive in some way, so I guess its time for me to back up just in case!!!

I had to dissconnect the front 120mm fan though because of no spare power molex's, haha, but it'll just have to do. Temps are fine without it, and they aren't rising.

EDIT: Okay, they are, but they seem to be stable now. (39 degrees C CPU/37 degrees system and PWM)

I also stacked the 2 hard drives ontop of each other facing away from each other, i.e, ones placed the other way. Is it alright to do this? Temps on both are both in the 20's according to Speed Fan.

Sorry about the bump, but I was going to create a new thread, and the post above was a bit hectic :(

I'm trying to copy my entire C drive basically, except for Windows onto the bigger drive, so then I can sort through it all.

Now, I tried copying and pasting from one to the other, but I've found, that if one file fails to copy (like its in use), or (its read/write protected), it fails to copy the rest, and so cancels the transfer.

Is there an easier way to do this? Like it copying the entire lot and then giving me a log at the end of what it couldn't copy and why, intead of just cancelling it all?

Ok mate. When it comes to backing up your entire hard drive on to another hard drive, you will find that you really only need half of whats on your main hard drive and the rest can just be left alone. Most people want to backup all there MY Doc's + Music + Video and any game saved files and even there .PST file if there using Microsoft Outlook as there e-mail. If you really want to find a safe place to transfer data without a problem, try coping over the data in SAFE MODE, the reason i say this is because in safe mode only the programs needed to keep the system running are turned on. Is there a set folder that you keep having problems with?

I think I've sorted it. I copied most things, but I'm going to clean them up now. Just wanted to back up incase the worst happened.

All I have to do though first is create a list of programs I use, and updates I can download and place on the drive ready (Antivirus, etc).

SCARE:

Hehe, I did have a bit of a scare thouhg. I was wrong about the temps not building up. Infact, very wrong. The CPU reached 40 degrees C, and the system reached 42 degrees C.

No air was escaping, and so, I went into Speed Fan and I saw the worst thing.

Both hard drives were at around 53 degrees C after all that copying. I know that damage starts to happen at 55, so I shut off fast, and found a spare molex, conneceted up the fan, and connected them up more apart.

Things should be okay now :)

When I get new storage of that size, I back everything up that I need to, then just re-format, and start fresh. I hate having 20GB's of music sometimes..

Yeah, I'm planning on cleaning up what I've just copied onto the 250GB from the 120GB, and then formatting the 120GB, and dragging what I need from the 250 to the 120Gb.

I might then buy another hard drive, and set it in RAID 0, to duplicate from one another, for the data storage of the 250GB.

Is this a good idea? How do I go about doing that?

You would have to get the exact hard drives, and two of them..as in, I think they have to be the same make. RAID0 is where XP and your files are spread across both hard drives..RAID1 is the duplicate. Uum..360Gb, is enough, just stick with that..decide which one you want primary, and which one you want secondary. Just use the fastest as the primary. Are they both SATA? or IDE?

I'll try and get the same make then, and if RAID 1 is the duplicate, I want that :p

There both IDE. I can't be botered with SATA. Seems too much trouble right now.

Thanks alot :)

Would the setup to make them RAID 1 be in the BIOS or something? Or a specific program would have to be loaded?

Your motherboard needs to support RAID?!!! I didn't know that. I'll have to check...

ABIT AV8:
Storage I/O -
Floppy disk
2 channels ATA/133
2 channels Serial ATA 150 via VT8237 south bridge with RAID 0,1 support

I'm guessing it does then? :D
...Now just to get it activated once you get a new drive?

Back
Top Bottom